Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:22 PM   #1

Finding alot of my pics are between the 1.5 meg to 2.5 meg after all is said and done. I am still shooting at 6 megpix and "quality level" at medium. What is the best way to shoot everyday shots so that these shots become email friendly and not to large of a size.

I do have Photoshop version 5.5 which i can scale down however this doesnot reduce evenly and can distort the shot. I dont believe shooting at a lower pix level or reduces my quality to low will be suffiecient, any ideas, what do you do?

FunBug
funbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:27 PM   #2

I would always shoot at highest res and quality possible.

Its a simple matter to reduce the ones you want to mail with even free software like Irfanview. (a nice basic editor too)

You can always decrese... but you can never put back what was never captured.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:40 PM   #3

Thanks Hayward,

I see what you mean, its just sometimes I take a lot of pictures and it becomes very long process to make them smaller. But i guess thats what ill have to do. Thanks again!

:|
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:47 PM   #4

I will have to agree with Hayward... You never know when you are going to want to blow up one of those everyday snap-shots, you'd be suprised what you can come up with just out snapping pics here and there... it's going to beat that timewhenyou wish you would've taken a 6.1MP, 3-Star JPEG or evenRAW shot and by then... it's too late.

I have never used Photoshop 5.5, but I can't imagine that the basic stuff would be much different than Photoshop 7. The best way to resize is go to the Image Size option, on PS7, I believe it's under the Edit menu. Just look for the option on the menus that says "Image Size." Under this option you can set your image width and have the program calculate the proportional height, this keeps you from distorting your pictures with the Scale option. But if you really insist on using Scale, hold the Shift key (or Ctrl, can't remember exactly) and Photoshop will properly size both width and height at the same time to keep from distorting the picture.

Nick

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 3:54 PM   #5

Just Downloaded Irfawn View and found it to be very easy, just save a copy of the pic in question, and then open it in irfanview, ..image and then resize using the "inches" section to 4"x6". went from 1.8 MB to 78 KB! not bad!

FunBug:|
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:04 AM   #6

Also if you do have a BUNCH you want to mail the again FREE and versatile IRFANVIEW will also do batch conversions... a bit of set up but then just one click and they are all done.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:56 AM   #7

You can automate the process in PS but it won't handle a mixture of landscape & portrait formats unless either you run two batch processes or rotate images so that they are all in the same format.

It's also a tad awkward to set up but using bicubic sharper as the resize option produces quite sharp images at 700x467 in 150kB.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote