Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2007, 4:57 PM   #1

The first shipping version (1.0) of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom was announced today . It will be available Feb 19. Estimated retail value is $299US (same as Apple Aperture) but until April 30 it will be available for $199. Education price is tagged around $99US.

Some interesting new features:
- healing/cloning
- Stacks and virtual copies
- TAT (Targeted Adjustment Tools); allows you to adjust visually right on the image (think the B&W conversion tool in PS CS3)

For more information, check out:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/
http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_31/essay.html
http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html

Time for me to prep my cheque book, I'd be lost without this app :-).

Sean B.
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 6:29 PM   #2

balofagus wrote:
Quote:
Some interesting new features:
- healing/cloning
- Stacks and virtual copies
- TAT (Targeted Adjustment Tools); allows you to adjust visually right on the image (think the B&W conversion tool in PS CS3)
Sean means "new" in version 1 as compared to the last public beta. So the features above are going to be new to those of us who have been playing with Lightroom for some time. On the other hand, if you haven't been using Lightroom during the public beta period, then it's all new. What's being released on Feb 19, after all, is version 1.0 of the app!

I like Lightroom very much and will be buying it the minute it appears.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:22 PM   #3

I saw the $199 and figured that I'd pass, as much asI lovedthe beta version. However, if there's a $99 academic version - I can deal with that! - Feb. 19th will find me at the student store...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:02 PM   #4

I just started to use Aperture and am getting to like it more than Lightroom although I would need to see the non beta version before I make my final decision.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:12 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I just started to use Aperture and am getting to like it more than Lightroom.
But unless I'm mistaken, it's only available for the 'Apple' & not the PC.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:08 AM   #6

That is true, but I only have Mac's and no PC's.

Even with a Mac you have to have a fairly fast machine for Aperture to work, but it is an amazing program. Neither Lightroom or Aperture is a replacement for Photoshop completely, but they really speed up your productivity, Aperture more so than Lightroom for my use.

Tom
Old Jan 30, 2007, 10:59 AM   #7

I would like to try Aperture but my sytem (iBook G4) can't handle it. They will be releasing a 30-day trial of version 1.0 on Feb 19, so you can try it then. From reports it seems that speed has been greatly replaced and so has organizational features.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:29 AM   #8

The original version of Aperture 1.0 will not run on slow Mac's, but the new version 1.5.1 will.

It runs pretty fast on my Macbook 2.0, but somewhat slow on my G4 1.5 Powerbook although still useable.

Tom
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:54 PM   #9

Tom,

I did check out the new specs when 1.5 came out and I figured it would run on my G4. However, when I downloaded the Compatibility checker it said I needed another 512MB (to equal 1GB) of RAM. I'd rather just buy Lightroom and know how well it will run then buy some new RAM and then try Aperture. Maybe when I go to college and get my iMac I will try out Aperture, but I'm more than happy with Lightroom 'til then.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 2:05 PM   #10

I agree. I was hoping for an intro price of $99. I currently use PS elements at home and thought this would be great for batch conversions of raw files.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote