Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 29, 2007, 7:19 PM   #1

Here are some more pics from my visit to Huntington Central Park. I was taking a hike around the lake when I came upon this family who were feeding pieces of bread to the ducks. This feeding activity caused quite a commotion on this side of the lake and attracted a flock of seagulls. The kids would throw the pieces of bread into the air and the seagulls would swoop down and catch it mid-air. I got into position behind the family and snapped away.

As you can tell from my exif info, I was shooting at about a focal length of 210mm, not very far. A thought occured to me that was inspired by Danielchtong shot with the woodpecker in hand. If you don't have a telephoto lens, then you need to bring the birds close to you. This is a simple technique to practice shooting birds in flight.

As the weather starts warming up, try going to your local park/pond/lake where there are alot of seagulls. Bring some bread and bring them to you. Have a friend throw the pieces of bread into the air, while you try to shoot some in flight shots. By gathering a bunch of birds close to you, this gives you more opportunity to practice steadying your camera and keeping your targets in the viewfinder as they fly by.

I had alot of fun with this "photoshoot" and got some nice keepers. Give it try.

Thanks for looking.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:46 PM   #2

Brilliant !
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:04 PM   #3

Love em. Thanks for the tip.

Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:41 PM   #4

Superb shots Royce!! Great detail!! Did you spot meter or centre weighted?...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 9:55 PM   #5

You are only getting better and better at flying birds.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:07 PM   #6

I was playing around and switching back and forth between center weighted and spot. For these particular shots: shots 1,2,4 are center weighted and shot 3 is spot. The hard part of this shot was the horizon. There was a tree line in the background which was very dark. Above that was the sky which was very bright. Sometimes I would catch the seagull higher up and it would be surrounded by very bright sky. Other times I would catch them below the tree line and they would be surrounded by a dark background. It made for very inconsistent and tough metering. I guess spot would have been the most accurate. Not sure. I shot over 40 shots of this particular scene and these were the ones that came out best.

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Superb shots Royce!! Great detail!! Did you spot meter or centre weighted?...Don
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:18 PM   #7

All of them are wonderful, but the last one is my favorite.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:33 AM   #8

Seriously, royce, I think you can make this your profession. If you don't already have...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 4:50 AM   #9

Terrific shots
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:18 AM   #10

yes!!!

guess it's a good thing you're a GP.. i can just imagine what we'd be looking at if you were a dentist and had a ''lester dine''.hehe

roy