Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Antelope Island Buffalo

The herd at Antelope was introduced to the island in 1893. I have been looking for a opportunity to get some photos of Buffalo but not on a ranch so I figured a island would be fine. Also another critter that lives on the island. The air was very strange there was a red alert inversion when I was there.





Two Tone Horns





Just a Rabbit



TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

Nice shots Roger, especially the rabbit!

What is a red alert inversion?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

It must be un-healthy they were announcing on the TV & the Radio all around Salt Lake to stay inside and not to go out unless you had to. No wind or air movement so I think it is built up smog. I only had a couple of hours to spend trying to get a few photos so like a Dummy I went for it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Very nice, and I love the rabbit, too. The two toned horns are interesting - I've never had the opportunity to really LOOK at a buffalo.

I know what inversions are - Los Angeles suffers from them all the time. While they don't use the term "red alert" inversion, I would guess it would have the same result as Los Angeles smog alerts. When you have a warmer layer of air over colder air, it acts as a barrier, not allowing the air on the surface to circulate up. It stagnates and any smoke or whatever stays down at ground level - Bakersfield announces "no burning" days when you aren't allowed to use your fireplace to try to improve the air quality on days like these. If you stand on a mountain, like Mt. Wilson near Pasadena, and look out over Los Angeles, you can tell when there's an inversion layer - there's a definite top to the smog layer (different than the marine layer).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

Oops. Double post.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
royce10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,869
Default

Awesome shots Roger. Good thing you have such a long telephoto lens. Aren't buffalo dangerous if disturbed? I'm assuming that these were all shot hand held?
Very nice. I too like the rabbit shot. Great lighting. The more I see your shots, the more I itch to get the bigma lens.

- Hung
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:13 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, and I love the rabbit, too. The two toned horns are interesting - I've never had the opportunity to really LOOK at a buffalo.

I know what inversions are - Los Angeles suffers from them all the time. While they don't use the term "red alert" inversion, I would guess it would have the same result as Los Angeles smog alerts. When you have a warmer layer of air over colder air, it acts as a barrier, not allowing the air on the surface to circulate up. It stagnates and any smoke or whatever stays down at ground level - Bakersfield announces "no burning" days when you aren't allowed to use your fireplace to try to improve the air quality on days like these. If you stand on a mountain, like Mt. Wilson near Pasadena, and look out over Los Angeles, you can tell when there's an inversion layer - there's a definite top to the smog layer (different than the marine layer).
mtngal, thanks for the information. thank you for looking and commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Awesome shots Roger. Good thing you have such a long telephoto lens. Aren't buffalo dangerous if disturbed? I'm assuming that these were all shot hand held?
Very nice. I too like the rabbit shot. Great lighting. The more I see your shots, the more I itch to get the bigma lens.

- Hung
royce10, thanks for the nice words and for looking. Since I don't know anything about buffalo I stayed in the car and used the window to set the lens on.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

I was told in Custer State Park in South Dakota that they are extremely dangerous during the mating season, and just easily irritable otherwise.

They suggested staying in your vehicle since the buffalo can run faster than you can.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I was told in Custer State Park in South Dakota that they are extremely dangerous during the mating season, and just easily irritable otherwise.

They suggested staying in your vehicle since the buffalo can run faster than you can.

Tom
Hi Tom, I have read pretty much the same thing about them so I did stay in my car.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7, Pentax K10D

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:43 AM.