Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1

I know this is probably in the manual somewhere, but before I dig it out I thought I would tap the knowledge base here. I just got a manual focus macro lens and I seem to have trouble getting the camera to take a picture. Is there a way to over ride the settings that won't let you take a picture untill the camera beeps and says it's focused?
I've tried it in the auto and macro modes and I would love to set it so that in the macro mode I don't have to rely so much on the camera telling me when to fire, if it isn't locked on it won't fire and I miss my shot.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2

Well I don't know a lot but theres a couple things you might try. First if it's not an "A" lens then you have to go in the menu and check allow use of ap ring. Second to allow it to fire without the beep and light you have to put the camera in manual focus mode. It's on the front of the camera. Hope this helps a bit.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:05 PM   #3

And if it isn't a manual focus lens with the "A" setting on the aperture ring and the electronic lens-to-body contacts, you cannot use any exposure mode except the M mode, fully manual (set the aperture and the time manually). But that is actually easier than it sounds, once you've tried it.

If it has the "A" setting, be sure to put it in that position.

Can you be more specific about what lens it is?

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:31 PM   #4

in M mode, once you have set the ap, puch the AE-L button to close down the lens to get an exposure time. all of this is different if it's a screw mount lens.

what lens and mount?

roy
Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:50 PM   #5

Try moving the switch on the front from AF to MF. This hits me all the time - if its in AF typically the camera will not fire until focus is achieved (you can use this to your advantage sometimes) - MF will allow you to take whenever.
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:19 PM   #6

oh man, I feel so stupid... I totally forgot about the manual focus setting on the camera :?
It's a Phoenix macro I just got in the mail and have only been playing with it for a day now. I need to get used to the prime lens again, I have been using a zoom for years now.
It's a K mount with an A setting on the lens... I didn't know all this stuff makes a difference in setting up a picture, so much to learn.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 4:42 PM   #7

Lost count of the number of times I've done that. I also forget to put it back when changing to autofocus lens, and wonder why the camera is not focussing.

The other classic mistake is changing the focus button to the OK button, putting the camera away, and forgetting to reset next time out. The last time, I thought the camera would have to go in for repair!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:02 PM   #8

i'm pretty good with all the manual/auto settings. my problem is setting the iso.. one reason i wish it was included in the VF.

roy
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:42 PM   #9

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'm pretty good with all the manual/auto settings. my problem is setting the iso.. one reason i wish it was included in the VF.

roy
Don't feel bad, I do that every Wednesday!

My 50mm lens is an A lens that I bought just for shooting in a gym (where my son plays basketball every Wednesday). I usually bump the ISO to 800 or occasionally 1600, set it for manual white balance, take a bunch of pictures, and then forget to put those 2 settings back.

Makes for some funny colored, grainy pics the next day.:-)
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:09 PM   #10

There's so much to learn with the the dSLR cameras. By the time you get one thing figured out, you find you've forgotten what you learned before. Sunday I took a ton of pictures in the fresh snow. Right before I reached the house, I tried to take a picture and it wouldn't work. Checked the focus button - that was OK - and just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't take one. Happened to look at the top screen and it said 0 frames - I had filled up the card (DUH!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote