Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:52 PM   #11

cwguy wrote:
Quote:
I like the alien and tortoise theories the best. The item is quite large and you can see it from satellite photos. The item is on rollers and a rail or at least that is what it looks like. I will need to do some more research.
Thanks

you've got my interest also. when i 1st saw it i thought foundry. is there any black slag laying around?

what is the buiding in the background..
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:21 PM   #12

I did not go to the building in the background to the right. I stayed on the left side and went to some storage building and also a train station (sign out front says "Ambulance Station No. 42")? But there was a train out front.

The building in the original picture.

Train station?

Train

Storage building?

From storage building? Picture inside the only room with anything in it.
cwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:23 PM   #13

my guess is a coal fired powerstation

buti dont know what the plant pot (it hasd a plant in it)on rollers does
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:48 PM   #14

cwguy wrote:
Quote:
The item is quite large and you can see it from satellite photos.
Do you have a link (to google maps or similar) you can give us? That might help identify what it is.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:51 AM   #15

Hi,

These shots look like you found an old steel mill. The building that is left is probably the maintenence building. The buiding that housed that smelting pot is long gone and the smoke stacks are most likely for the furnances.

In the tunnel under the pot looks like there were tunnels underneath to get to the various areas of the plant. As old as this plant looks the Locomotive was probably used to move the smelting pot and move the finished ingots around the Steel Yard..

Just curious, Where is this shot taken?

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:11 PM   #17

Ok, the satellite images confirm what everyone else was telling you.

You're looking at the remants of a steel mill. if you zoom out on the satellite images, you can see some of the building foundations.

The Birmingham,AL area was, at one point in time anyway, a hotbed of steelmaking. Definately th steelmaking capital of the south.

From what i've found online, what you have taken pictures of may be the remnants of the US Steel Ensley works, but I haven't found any maps or overhead images to confirm that. The Ensley works apparently shut down in 1981.

The "flower pot" is a ladel for moten steel. The thing it's sitting on appears to be a portion of the blast furnace, which would have been used to heat the steel. You can think of it as a fireplace huge fireplace.

The building you identify as a train station certainly wasn't. It is possible that this was a maintinance shop for the captive rail equipment owned by the mill.

The locomotive you took a picture of outside that structure is an Diesel-Electric Switcher built buy the American Locomomotive Company (ALCO) sometime between 1940 and 1957 (I might be able to pin down a model number if I had a clear picture).

Paul
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:22 PM   #18

wow paul!!! all of that from a sat view.. who would have thought 20 years ago??

roy
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:26 PM   #19

robar wrote:
Quote:
wow paul!!! all of that from a sat view.. who would have thought 20 years ago??
The sat view gave me a location, and since I know a little about the area, I was able to do some inteligent *****hes on google.

I could have answered the questions about the ladel and the locomotive had I looked more closely when I first looked at the images.... since these are the kinds of things I take pictures of most of the time...

Paul
Old Feb 2, 2007, 7:09 PM   #20

i seem to remember that there was some kind of reference to a ladle like this in an old cartoon movie-- heavy metal.. any hits??

roy