Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1

Here she is pretending I am not there!

Here she is with the get the heck out of here look!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2

What a stare! They really do look like pretty fearsome birds, don't they? At least, that's how she looks in these two pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 12:49 AM   #3

Beauties Tom. I love it when they give you the look....:O........cheers.........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:31 AM   #4

Hi Tom,

Nice shots!! By the way that She is a HE..... And HE thinks you might make a good Dinner..... LOL!!!!

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:16 AM   #5

This pair has been around here for years and the other eagle is twice as large as this one and this bird is the one that remains on the nest with the young ones until they are as large as the adults, so I expect she is a she.

Tom
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:24 AM   #6

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Beauties Tom. I love it when they give you the look....:O........cheers.........Don
the stare... but from the zoo.. hope you guys know how lucky you are!!
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:44 AM   #7

Hi,

Nope, Just Henpecked..... LOL... The females are kinda of drab looking no whitehead. They are mostly brown in color.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:22 AM   #8

They actually look just the same, at least the pairs around here do, but according to my book the females are larger than the males, so you must be correct about the sex of this one.

He must be a stay at home dad!

I see British Columbia and Alaska have the most Bald Eagles and I would love to get up there during the winter when they are bunched together, but it is too far for a weekend drive. I guess I will have to make do with the pairs we have around here.

Tom
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:06 AM   #9

Here is a photo of a pair that have nested on Hornby Island BC for the past 23 years. This is a still from the cam that streamed live from March to the first part of June and ended in a failed hatch. While the female spent most the time on the nest the male did his time, often times the female had to kick dad out bacause he wouldn't leave when she would return. I wish I could figure out how to link a slideshow I downloaded that was created by another eagle camfanas a tribute to the eagles. As I got everyone at work hooked on following the progress of the hatch I saw grown men cry as we witnessed the female cry (only way I could describe what we saw) .... cry over the empty nest.

Anyway, in this still the male is the one hovering over the eggs, smaller head and beak, generally wears head feathers more tightly to his head. The female is larger with a larger more hooked beak with slightly longer looser head feathers.

Last year the cam site was crashed more than three times (as I recall). They had a record of over 2 million hits per day and had toupgrade their hosting sites, which even Microsoft donated server space. It was pretty awesome.

They've installed a second camera at the nest sight for this years event. Success for older birds dwindles however they are hopeful as there has been recorded a hatch from a 40 year old pair. If anyone is interested I'll post a link for this year.
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:16 AM   #10

I enjoyed this whole thread and the photos. Thanks

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote