Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 2, 2007, 3:14 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

Sigma 50-500 REVIEW W/K10D

Bigma (Sigma 50-500MM) review for NEWBIES and NONE TECH. folks.

Bigma & Pentax K10D. Why a review for a lens and a certain camera??? Cuzz it is the only DSLR camera I own. I couldn't come up with a way I could tell you all about how this lens works if I didn't try it on a camera.

When it arrived I was impressed with the nice box and the way it was packed. This did cause my old brain to go on alert. Most of the time things that look good and are packaged well are going to be a pain to figure out how to work. I think this is the way manufactures get away from having better manuals they spend more on the packaging rather than on photos for the manuals. I had been told it was big and I had even looked at photos on the Internet of it. Let me tell you, folks who said it was BIG were telling the truth it is a Big Mama. After looking at it I decided I like the nickname BIGMA.

In the box: A whole lot of treasures which would be a good thing for folks that like having lots of stuff. Probably be like a birthday for them lots of presents. Now I have a lot of stuff (treasures) in the cool lens bag with a strap that came with the lens. I will say all this extra stuff is nice but I just don't have a use for it. I am sure it is a good thing for Sigma to include all the extras as most folks probably will be glad to get it.

I wanted this lens to use and I figured I would need to use it in a hurry so I put the "no sunshine thing" on the end of it and took it to my camera bag so I could adjust the inside of the bag to keep it ready. I take mostly pictures of Free Ranging Wildlife so I don't have time to look for something much less try to put something together before I can use it.

Instruction Manual: One big piece of paper printed on both sides is the instructions. Kind of like the lens BIG. I found the English part and sat down for a study session and try to attach the lens session. No disrespect intended but there is a lot of tech type information and that is a good thing for some but for some of us it just don't make sense. A example of trying to figure some of this out is it weights 1900g (67.0oz) sure would seem to me for us folks here in the states they could of said it weighs about 5 pounds. no pictures on the separate language pages but they do tell you to go back to Figure #1 for a description of the parts. This seems like a pretty smart way to do it. Lots of information and lots of drawings available so this should make about every one happy.

After reading the instructions the first time I decided I better go back and read them again. Nothing can be this easy was my thinking. After the second read I figured this lens and I might make a good team. I attach it, carry it, aim it, press the shutter and it and the camera does everything else. I like this technology stuff, especially when it makes my life easier. Time so check this Big Mamma out, so I grabbed my camera bag and drove out of town a ways to test it. The instructions tell you how to take off the tripod collar but you might want to think about this a while before you do take it off. It was and is a big help for me to keep the lens and camera steady. Works real good using a truck window, truck hood, fence post, tree limb, binocular harness or a rock. It won't be coming off my lens because it is a big help. I had my camera set on the Green P mode and didn't try to change anything on the lens. The focus thing was kind of different than my other camera. When It was ready it showed me a little red dot on what I figured it was focusing on. Ok time to play with this. I picked a tree and did the focus on the trunk of the tree then I did a limb on the tree then I did a different limb but moved the camera back to the stump while leaving the shutter part way down. Focused on the limb but took a picture of the whole tree. About 5 bursts for each of these tests. How slow or how fast is it. A fence post in the sun was faster than a fence post in the shade. This really didn't bother me since I think the most important thing about wildlife is patience. It takes longer for me to spot wildlife in the shade than if they are in the sunshine so why wouldn't it take the camera longer to do the same thing. Another complaint I heard is the lens moves when you carry it around. I can't see how this is a bad thing cause they got them a lock switch that locks it in place. To heavy is another thing folks are saying. It blows me away what camera folks say some times. When I go to the city which is a seldom as possible I watch folks from the parking lot at the Malls where my wife is shopping and after reading about this to heavy thing I went inside and sat down to watch. Many folks all over the mall toting lots of bags whose total has to be more than 5 pounds. Then after covering all the mall area they take them out to their cars. This here lens is a lot easier to carry than a bunch of shopping bags so it seems to me, you all don't have a leg to stand on with this weight thing. Do you all not take your garbage cans out to the street because they are to heavy??? To get results some times you just got to do certain things.

Back to my office to download the test photos so I can see what changes I am going to try and get done. After looking at the photos I decided this set up is a KEEPER for a newbie like me. It works the same as my point and shoot camera but gets better pictures. It seems to me Sigma agrees with me that a lens should be able to do all the hard work and leave the easy stuff to us humans.

After 1 month of using the Sigma 50-500mm lens.

I am a happy camper and I would not hesitate to buy another if something happened to this one. I also am surprised at the quality of photos I am getting at 500MM. I had read all kinds of negative stuff about the lens at that zoom. What would I change???? Come up with one button to put in on and to take it off. I would like anything that makes changing lenses faster. Most of the time when I tell a animal or bird to wait right where they are for me to change lenses they don't pay much attention and leave. Most of you have heard of politically correct well this probably ain't camera correct but IMHO this is one fine Point and shoot lens that works very well with a good point and shoot DSLR camera.

I realize reviews are normally done by camera experts and that always includes lots of tech stuff. This is a good thing but I did this review and one for the Pentax K10D for Newbies and for folks that don't want to spend a lot of time with all the tech stuff they just want to go take pictures.

Pentax K10D Review:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Like the professional reviewers I have some examples of photos this lens was used on. These are wild Free Ranging wildlife so they are real life out in the woods photos.I hope you enjoy them, and you all have a good day now.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Extra Information: For you folks that are into spelling and grammar I did the spell checker thing on this review. If some of the words are wrong its because I didn't get close enough for the spell checker to help me out.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:27 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bkrownd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
Default

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
It blows me away what camera folks say some times. When I go to the city which is a seldom as possible I watch folks from the parking lot at the Malls where my wife is shopping and after reading about this to heavy thing I went inside and sat down to watch. Many folks all over the mall toting lots of bags whose total has to be more than 5 pounds. Then after covering all the mall area they take them out to their cars. This here lens is a lot easier to carry than a bunch of shopping bags so it seems to me, you all don't have a leg to stand on with this weight thing. Do you all not take your garbage cans out to the street because they are to heavy??? To get results some times you just got to do certain things.
This is a very strange arguement. Most people don't hold shopping bags or garbage cans to their faces for hours, trying to keep it as steady as possible.


bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tiger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,696
Default

Great review Roger! That camera is going to make an author out of you yet! :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

bkrownd wrote:
Quote:
thehotel wrote:
Quote:
It blows me away what camera folks say some times. When I go to the city which is a seldom as possible I watch folks from the parking lot at the Malls where my wife is shopping and after reading about this to heavy thing I went inside and sat down to watch. Many folks all over the mall toting lots of bags whose total has to be more than 5 pounds. Then after covering all the mall area they take them out to their cars. This here lens is a lot easier to carry than a bunch of shopping bags so it seems to me, you all don't have a leg to stand on with this weight thing. Do you all not take your garbage cans out to the street because they are to heavy??? To get results some times you just got to do certain things.
This is a very strange arguement. Most people don't hold shopping bags or garbage cans to their faces for hours, trying to keep it as steady as possible.

"This is a very strange arguement. Most people don't hold shopping bags or garbage cans to their faces for hours, trying to keep it as steady as possible."

I wasn't trying to argue about anything just saying what I have seen.

I HAVE NOT seen:

Any photographer walking around for hours with their camera to their faces for hours at a time. I spend a lot of time in the woods with my camera and the time it is up to my face compared to the time I am out in the woods is very little. I also have found out there are numerous things available to help you with holding the camera up to your face = trees, limbs, rocks, posts, signs and there is always a binocular harness or you could even use a tripod or a monopod.

Lots of folks that carry their groceries use a cart to make the job easier. Sure ain't nothing wrong with using what is available to make your camera time more fun.

TOTALLY WACKY roger


WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:52 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
bluwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 592
Default

Hi Roger,

Nice review! I am glad you didn't get the Sigma 170-500mm It is longer than the Bigma.... LOL...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Great review Roger! That camera is going to make an author out of you yet! :-) Jim
Me a author :-) how about sending me some of what you been smoking???:lol:

Jim, thanks for looking and for the nice comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roger,

Nice review! I am glad you didn't get the Sigma 170-500mm It is longer than the Bigma.... LOL...

Rudy
Hi Rudy, thanks for looking and commenting.

Can't say anything about the Sigma 170-500mm I never have seen one.

Sigma 170-500mm

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
rhermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Antwerp - Belgium
Posts: 3,454
Default

Roger, thanks for the review.

Looking at the shots you take with this lens nobody can say this is a bad lens, but it's not only the lens it's the person behind it that takes the pictures.

The weight problem is just (imho) something you've got to get used to. Anybody coming from a point and shoot to a dslr must have had the idea of being mad. Just to change a small cute camera for such a large heavy thing. But you do if because you know that your going to produce better shots. (at least you hope so).
If I had enough wild in my neighbourhood that lens would surely be a must have.

Ronny


rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
WackyRoger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chama, New Mexico
Posts: 6,206
Default

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Roger, thanks for the review.

Looking at the shots you take with this lens nobody can say this is a bad lens, but it's not only the lens it's the person behind it that takes the pictures.

The weight problem is just (imho) something you've got to get used to. Anybody coming from a point and shoot to a dslr must have had the idea of being mad. Just to change a small cute camera for such a large heavy thing. But you do if because you know that your going to produce better shots. (at least you hope so).
If I had enough wild in my neighbourhood that lens would surely be a must have.

Ronny

Hi Ronny, I hope you and yours are all doing well.

Thank you for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 5:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bkrownd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 106
Default

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
I HAVE NOT seen:

Any photographer walking around for hours with their camera to their faces for hours at a time. I spend a lot of time in the woods with my camera and the time it is up to my face compared to the time I am out in the woods is very little. I also have found out there are numerous things available to help you with holding the camera up to your face = trees, limbs, rocks, posts, signs and there is always a binocular harness or you could even use a tripod or a monopod.
You're exaggerating what I'm trying to say. Even with a monopod, there's a lot of holding the camera plus monopod while crossing miles of territory. There's a lot of manipulating, leaning, and hand-holding at angles. There's a LOT of tracking along the lens barrel and through the viewfinder. It adds up.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:21 AM.