Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:04 PM   #1

After some deliberation, I installed a 30 day trial version just to see how it went.

Well, backwards compatibility is going to be worse than XP - at least Windows 2000 drivers were available if push came to shove - but my aging Creative Labs Soundblaster Live is just one hardware problem that can only be solved by replacing it. I doubt if Abit will bring out drivers for the motherboard chipset so that would have to stay under the Vista installation.

What's annoying is that Vista allows you to install programs, then tells you that there are compatibility issues & refuses to run the program - why not do this at the beginning so to avoid the hastle of installing then un-installing.

The good news is that the Pentax Photolab v2 installs & works so I can only hope that upgrades to v2-2 & v3 will also work.

I had some issues with Adobe PS CS2 as the updater failed to install correctly but CS2 still seems to work.

Paint Shop Pro v7 works as does ACDSEE v5 - I don't like the newer versions that much.

File transfer via Ipswich WS FTP Pro2006 or2007 currently doesn't work.

I'm glad that I installed on a second drive as I can reboot back to XP.

I'll keep Vista for the 30 days just to play around with but it just is too much of a 'pain in the proverbial', so I just be content with XP for now and some considerable time to come.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:21 PM   #2

IntrepidWalker

I really thought about upgrading To Vista and I am usually the First To jump on the upgrade band Wagon. However this time I am waiting!! According To the Windows Upgrade advisor My PC Is fully Capable Of Running Vista. However, Software wise there were several of What i consider mission Critical Programs that Would not Work with Vista. I am Not in the mood now to try and replace( If they can Be) these programs.
I currently Have a P4 3.2 with 1Gig of RAM. I am Thinking seriously of Replacing this with a New box and Giving this to My Daughter (P4-1.4g With 512m Ram.)
Maybe this Fall. In the Mean Time i can See if i can get repalcements For a few of these programs. And by then Maybe a few of the Inevitable bugs will Be straightened out.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:11 PM   #3

i'm in BK's boat. i don't plan on upgrading for sometime. my camera kit needs an upgrade first.. a beta tester and a good friend says to wait. truth be told i'm happy with XP and probably will be for some time.. let all the vendors and SW writers do their thing for awhile and i'll look at it again next fall.

roy
Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:57 PM   #4

In my computer programming class, we have to do a presentation on some new features in Vista. As a Mac user, I of course bear the brunt of the Windows fanboys in the class. My teacher, who is a Windows user himself, has asked me to only choose features that are similar to Mac OS X.

You should hear how excited some of them are about Flip 3D. Expose should put them in their places :blah:.

Vista is interesting, but not interesting enough to make me leave my beloved Mac! Also, I can't stand the new Close "X" button thing in Vista, no idea why, it just irks me. I think Vista will be much better once people start programming for it and getting drivers and such out.

The biased opinion of a Mac user
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:06 PM   #5

While I use Windows, I'm no Microsoft fanboy. I've never adopted one of the new Windows programs when they first come out - they've all had problems. I'll wait for a year or two and THEN upgrade, about the time when they release "Service Pack 2" or whatever. The only thing I don't have that I want is Lightroom.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:21 PM   #6
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
While I use Windows, I'm no Microsoft fanboy. I've never adopted one of the new Windows programs when they first come out - they've all had problems. I'll wait for a year or two and THEN upgrade, about the time when they release "Service Pack 2" or whatever. The only thing I don't have that I want is Lightroom.
Thats the best thing you can do. Upgrading now is a guarantee for headaches with drivers, programs and all kinds of stuff that isn't supported yet.

XP only became stable enough after SP2, so I expect the same with Vista.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:41 PM   #7

TDN wrote:
Quote:
mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Thats the best thing you can do. Upgrading now is a guarantee for headaches with drivers, programs and all kinds of stuff that isn't supported yet.

XP only became stable enough after SP2, so I expect the same with Vista.
I agree wholeheartedly -- I stuck with Win 3.1 until Win 98 SE came out, and then Win 98 SE until the newest versions of the software that I use required XP (around the time when SP2 was released). I'll do the same this time.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:17 PM   #8

There are hacked drivers for the SBlive, but forget about any and all effects and/or EAX support

Vista lasted all of 17 minutes on my machine and Win64 came right back

i will NEVER USE vista
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:14 PM   #9

I will upgrade sooner, rather than later, but that is mostly because I'm an IT guy and I need to learn it (and I'll get it free from work).

Probably the bigest reason for upgrading for me is that I bought an x64 computer with media center a year ago and they never came out with an x64 version of media center. So I'm hopefull that I'll see some performance improvements with a 64 bit OS (even if the bulk of my aps stay 32 bit)
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:02 PM   #10

I also make my living in software development, installation, and support. I will have to put Vista on a few boxes in our test lab Monday but I doubt it will go on my PC at home or work before at least SP1 is released. If you are not a very computer literate person, I would strongly suggest you avoid it until at least the first service pack is released. By then most of the big issues will at least be known if not addressed.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote