Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:39 PM   #1

Is this split screen a wise investment for manual focusing? I dont have enough cash to afford top quality lenses with super accurate super fast super quiet AF nor do I like AF anyway. I need a camera with a split screen, basically. I would buy a katz screen and may do in a while when I win millions off of stock photos, haha. Is this screen going to screw with the exposure? I would prefer something that doesnt need photoshop, or rather, as little photoshop as possible. I am a computer geek but not a photo editor geek and prefer the camera to do most of the work, you know, if I'm going to pamper it, might as well work properly. I accept that it wont be a perfect fix but I am willing to try virtual village if it is pretty accurate, not dead on.

Thoughts?

Oh, I'm sorry for reviving this seemingly dead topic of split screens but its important and no one has addressed the pros and cons of virtual village that I've seen. Please do not turn this into a discussion for Katz, I've read enough to make my head spin.

Thanks,
-Alex
Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:24 PM   #2

never heard of what you are posting. i can give you a link tomorrow for a cheaper screen than the katseye.. some of us here have bought from him and the screens were 27usd delivered. personally , i'm thinking of going back to the matte screen because just like the old days the split screen blacks out with certain lenses and certain angles of lighting.can anyone else using a split confirm this??

ry
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:50 PM   #3

This is all I can find on it. There's not much info at all about this one.

Click Here
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:40 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
never heard of what you are posting. i can give you a link tomorrow for a cheaper screen than the katseye.. some of us here have bought from him and the screens were 27usd delivered. personally , i'm thinking of going back to the matte screen because just like the old days the split screen blacks out with certain lenses and certain angles of lighting.can anyone else using a split confirm this??

ry
That is the only downside of the split screen, which I seem to remember fromthe old days. Longer lenses cause either the top or the bottom half to go black. Very annoying.

I did change mine back, then decided I needed to manual focus with my macro lens, so the split screen is back in. Of course, now I find that I haven't used it for a month or so. Very annoying!!!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:10 AM   #5

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
I did change mine back, then decided I needed to manual focus with my macro lens, so the split screen is back in. Of course, now I find that I haven't used it for a month or so. Very annoying!!!

Darren
So the only solution is to buy a few more bodies!:-)Tell your wife "that's what they tell me in the forum", might work.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:57 AM   #6

Hi PC,

The Newer Katz screens are far better than the older versions. You still may have to adjust the exposure +or- depending on your camera. The one that Rufus posted is about the same.

I have been watching those view screens and waiting. For manual focusing they can't be beat... They don't black out supposedly now until around f11-f16. Depending on the available light.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:22 AM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

Darren
So the only solution is to buy a few more bodies!:-)Tell your wife "that's what they tell me in the forum", might work.

Kjell
Just tried it. Response was "more camera stuff!!".

Mind you, having a clearout and putting some lenses on ebay, so come the summer (May/June) I sould be able to get either the K10D or the Samsung GX10 (depending on the response to which is better).

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote