Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:51 AM   #11

Hi Bk,

Just got to DPreview and they will cofirm that Pentax cameras are NOT ANY GOOD for ACTION shots.....:?

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:56 AM   #12

Yes the water is quite cold actually here in southern california. We get currents that come down from alaska bringing with it very chilly waters. You notice the older guy who is also wearing a wet suit with a full hood? Brrrrrrrrrrr.

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots!

Wet-proof camera? And why do they wear wet-suits? Is it cold in the water even in California?

Kjell
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:26 AM   #13

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I am Sorry, But you are not able to take Pictures like that!!* Everyone knows that* Pentax cameras are terrible at action shots.* Only* C & N Can take shots like that!!!!!*:G* ROTFLMAO

Great Shots Illuminati

Phil
Funny you should mention that. Another photographer came by and asked me what I was shooting with. I showed him the camera, and he went "PENTAX! Get out of here! Is that a digital?!?" His reaction really amused me. We swapped cameras for a bit, and I got to see what his Canon EOS 5D could do. Having a VR lens was nice, but it's nicer knowing my shots were done without SR and handheld.

Attached Images

Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:30 AM   #14

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Yes the water is quite cold actually here in southern california. We get currents that come down from alaska bringing with it very chilly waters. You notice the older guy who is also wearing a wet suit with a full hood? Brrrrrrrrrrr.

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots!

Wet-proof camera? And why do they wear wet-suits? Is it cold in the water even in California?

Kjell
The weather was nice and sunny at last, but the temperatures were FREEZING. When I got to my car earlier that morning, there was a thin sheet of ice covering my windows. Around 8AM when I was taking those photos, the temperatures were still very cold. I'm still amazed how sharp the photos ended up because I was shivering quite a bit in between shots. I can only imagine how much colder the water must have felt.

And one last photo

Attached Images

Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:33 AM   #15
TDN

Very nice photos!

P.S.: chekc this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyg1RVM-Br8
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:12 PM   #16

Outstanding surfing shots - looks like some pretty good sized waves so the surfers would be happy.

As royce mentioned, the currents along the California coast come from Alaska. It's not unusual to see people surfing in the summer in wet suits or partial wet suits. I grew up closer to the ocean than I am now, and we would visit the beach several times during the summer when I was growing up - it was never warm.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:00 PM   #17

Beautiful shots. I really like #5. What I find amazing is howso many really nice posted pictures come from lenses that get bad reviews.How many times have I read, "never buy a 28-200 or 300," and yet all these beautiful pictures find their wayto this forum. Keep up the good work.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:17 PM   #18
TDN

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Beautiful shots. I really like #5. What I find amazing is howso many really nice posted pictures come from lenses that get bad reviews.How many times have I read, "never buy a 28-200 or 300," and yet all these beautiful pictures find their wayto this forum. Keep up the good work.

Glenn
The problem with those reviews is that they focus on "testlab" situations. Yes sure, on a chart with colors and lines a superzoom lens will show barrel distortion (straight lines getting bent) and less sharpness, but in 90% of the cases you will not notice that in the field.

Of course, if you're going to shoot a lot of modern architecture, you'll be much better off with a prime.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:24 PM   #19

I would have thought that Nuclear Power Plant would warm the water up somewhat. That is where some of the best surfing was when I was out there in the 80's.

I use to get some nice surfing shots using film off the pier at Huntington Beach.

Good shots!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote