Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:00 AM   #11

This week in 1996, a record (state record) low of -60 degrees f was reached in Northern MN. I guess it could be worse. The easy winter we've had up to this point kind of had me thinking that it wouldn't be long until spring...
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:49 PM   #12

I love playing in the snow, but there's a limit how much cold I can manage - when it gets below about 10 F I stay in.

We've got high pressure weather and I was out snowshoeing in shirt sleeves! Took this picture of a Clark's Nutcracker near the top of Mt. Pinos. It isn't the greatest - the bird flew off before I could get closer to him. And I thinkthat's what it is -my field guide says theyare common in the high mountains (think 8800 feet above sea levelqualifies). This is one of the times I would have liked a good TC to use with the A*300.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:08 PM   #13

Set up to take a couple of indoor shots today--this is a "pen frog"--a flower frog used to hold pens. 50mm f/1.4
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:09 PM   #14

A Sheaffer clear glass desk pen stand with jade green desk pen. Made in 1928. The glass is perfect--no marrs, no chips.
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:22 PM   #15

maybe the heron thinks its the fozen foods section?

i dont know how you guys stand the cold
0 C (32 F) is way to cold

we have had a few days over 40 C here which is a bit warm
and the bright sunlight not really good for photos

but temps in the minus seem nuts to me

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:06 PM   #16

As I always say: once it dips below 0 F it does not matter anymore:-)

We have -19F now and it would not be a big deal but it is close to -40F with wind chill. Not a good time to expose any flash.
The forecast reports start with: "Bitterly cold. Sunny skies. Dangerous wind chills approaching -40F."

We should get a heat wave on Thursday with a max of 0 F :-)

I remember years back when it got down to -58F in MN and we had this guy at work from California who was shocked and left back home two months later. He came for interview in late November and we "forgot" to tell him about how January/February goes around here.

My neighbor is from South Dakota and anything above 50F makes him uncomfortable.
He's wife is at the opposite pole. It is fun to see them outside sometimes: he wears shorts while she sports a parka.

Same goes for my kids: I have to watch them not to end-up of being accused of child endangerment:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:15 PM   #17

Love this shot Kjell. You definitely captured the "butt frozen cold" element in that shot! I won't even bother telling you guys what temp it was around here. I don't even think my refridgerator freezer is as cold as what you guys have...

- Hung

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
So you felt like this guy?

Kjell
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:20 PM   #18

There is alot of bright light coming in from the window, backlighting your subject. Try turning the frog around to face the window and shooting it with the light coming over your shoulder. Or put it right next to the window for some natural sidelight and shooting that.

- Hung

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
Set up to take a couple of indoor shots today--this is a "pen frog"--a flower frog used to hold pens. 50mm f/1.4
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:00 AM   #19

Hi hung,

You mean you have a refrigerator??? LOL...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:18 AM   #20

It was a real feast coming to work today. Some schools got closed which does not happen often around here due to temperature. I guess they need to draw a line somewhere.

It crossed my mind to put on a sky mask but my wife said I could end up in jail when stopping by the coffee shop:-) She did not seem too concerned thou:-)

Anyway, the heating bill will be something this year. But since I put some money into natural resources mutual funds I should come ahead. Thanks to GWB efforts and global warming they do pretty good lately:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote