Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:23 AM   #21

-24F this morning but going all the way up to -2F so all is good.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:12 PM   #22

My thermometer read -19.1 degress f (-28.33 C) this morning at 6:30. First time this winter I've worn gloves while driving (compared to just having a set in the car with me). Also made sure my cell phone was fully charged in case I had car trouble on my 20 mile trip to work.

Some schools around MN closed due to the temp and wind chill--never did this when I was a kid, but I think it's a good idea. I remember walking a block to the bus stop and waiting for the bus in weather like this, and I would have appreciated staying home!

The good news is that it may get above zero tomorrow (+2 degrees f) and it is predicted to be +20 by Sunday.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:20 PM   #23

Guess I won't mention that right now it's 85 F according to UCLA's Department of Atmospherics website - it reports real-time tempertures. Tough life we Californians have, right?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:32 PM   #24

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Guess I won't mention that right now it's 85 F according to UCLA's Department of Atmospherics website - it reports real-time tempertures. Tough life we Californians have, right?

Oh well...I guess that's fair. After all, you also get toexperience killer mudslides, earthquakes and wildfires. There aren't too many "perfect" places I guess. I wouldn't mind trying the Bahamas for a while.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:53 PM   #25

The Bahamas would be interesting, especially during hurricane season...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:43 PM   #26

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
Some schools around MN closed due to the temp and wind chill--never did this when I was a kid, but I think it's a good idea. I remember walking a block to the bus stop and waiting for the bus in weather like this, and I would have appreciated staying home!
Kids always appreciate staying at home. There are liability issues these days that we didn't have in more sensible times. People are lazy wimps now. We had no problem going to school whatever the temperature, and winters were colder back then.

Anyhow, winter is the beautiful season - get out there and enjoy it! I have many fond memories of the crispy winter days and nights of my youth in MN. Someday I'll finally be able to return...

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:04 PM   #27

Easy for you to say--living in Hawaii! I spent a lot of time oudoors in the winter, skating skiing and just playing in the snow. One of my favorite things to do was to go for a walk on our lake on Christmas Eve, especially if it was a clear night--the stars were wonderful.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:59 PM   #28

My parents live in Winnipeg MB, Canada and they said yesterday it was -56 with the windchill, -38F air temp, makes me feel warm here in MN at -10. Still cold enough to stay inside and take pics around the house with my macro... I'll see if I can attach this one of the window frost.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #29

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
Easy for you to say--living in Hawaii!
This is only a temporary exile. I spent over 15 years in Minnesota, and have missed the seasons ever since I left. I'll be arriving in 10 days for my winter vacation, and it better still be real winter! I was hoping to snowshoe on the North Shore, but I'm not sure if there'll be enough snow.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote