Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:14 AM   #11

Being able to just start taking photos with no direction or theme is tough. Being able to make something out of those shots takes skill. You definitely made something great out of something mundane, and that's amazing. I turn off photo-op mode when I don't specifically plan for photography, so there's lots of missed opportunities there. It's great that you can keep this going even when at work.

I like the third photo; the grain really helps this photo stand out.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:37 AM   #12

Nice shots, mtngal. I like the theme behind them, nr1 is my favourite.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:03 PM   #13

Really great shots - your control over DoF is amazing.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:20 PM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm feeling frustrated again when it comes to pictures. It's all a state of my feeble mind - I'm feeling rather un-creative and haven't really liked anything I've taken recently (I've been trying some new things recently). I can't manage to see them objectively, so if you can help me out here - am I way off base or are these OK?

These first ones were taken at my office one very quiet, boring Friday when I wasn't very interested in working.
If I was you, I would be happy. You got some nice photos when most of us would not of seen the photo opportunity. You did gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:03 PM   #15

Mtngal,

Let me steal some idea (paper clip) from you. Probably not as good as yours.

Cheers

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:36 PM   #16

Push-pins! Love it - certainly more colorful than my poor old, dusty binder clips (didn't think about dusting them first).

I tried a number of different shotsof the binder clips, focusing on the first one or the third one, looking down the row through the middle etc. but liked the one I posted best. I didn't like the big OOF first clip when I focused on another one further down the line. The other problem I had was with the background - the back of a large format copier. It didn't occur to me to move the clips to something with a better background - I'm awful at arranging things, so I don't try (just take what's there).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:41 PM   #17

I really like those shots! The first one is especially nice. I had to laugh when I saw them because I could just see myself playing around with my camera like that in my office as my boss would walk by and look in.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 3:41 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Push-pins! Love it - certainly more colorful than my poor old, dusty binder clips (didn't think about dusting them first).

I tried a number of different shotsof the binder clips, focusing on the first one or the third one, looking down the row through the middle etc. but liked the one I posted best. I didn't like the big OOF first clip when I focused on another one further down the line. The other problem I had was with the background - the back of a large format copier. It didn't occur to me to move the clips to something with a better background - I'm awful at arranging things, so I don't try (just take what's there).
no worries. i actually prefer capturing a moment in time rather than taking time to set up the 'moment.'
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:43 PM   #19

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I had to laugh when I saw them because I could just see myself playing around with my camera like that in my office as my boss would walk by and look in.
My boss was home sick that day, and most of the other people who work in my section were either on vacation or elsewhere that day. Otherwise I only play with the camera at lunch time (I do that quite often).

Here's another one (really two) that I also took at work the same day, in fact the one that started the whole series. My desk is by a window and looks out on a garden/courtyard area - a little bit of grass in the cement world of Westwood. There are often people walking or hanging around there. I noticed the lovely light and this man talking with one of his sons. I grabbed my camera and caught this instead - like father, like sons, admiring the "scenery."

I can't decide if I like this picture or not - the timing was a bit off and the lovely color isn't as obvious with their faces turned. So I tried this in b&w and think I like it better. So is this picture something nice or an "almost" photo? I can't quite decide.
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:43 PM   #20

B&W version
Attached Images