Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1

The sun was out and my wife and baby were taking a nap, so I stuffed my camera into my camelpak and took my bike out for a ride. I hadn't visited Back Bay in awhile. I took the San Diego Creek Trail down into the bay. After my out of shape legs got a nice stretch, I found a nice little spot by the water and sat down for a rest. There was a very large concentration of birds close by on the tiny islands out in the bay. Every once in awhile, something would spook them and up they all went, hundreds of flapping wings beating against the air.

They would swarm around and eventually land on another island. It was quite a sight to watch. It always amazes me that they don't bump into each other with such a high concentration of birds in the air in such close proximity. I'm glad my autofocus was set to center point only. My poor k100d would have blown a circuit trying to guess at which spot to focus on.

Next to me was this little stream that fed into the bay. Ducks would gather at the mouth of the stream and splash in the water.

I continued to practice my spot metering technique. It has worked well on white feathered birds so far.

How would it fare with other colored subjects with different light tones?

To be continued....

Thanks for looking.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:01 AM   #2

All very nice, but #2 takes one more step up the ladder. Really cathces the "countless chaos", while it's true like you say, they never bump into each other.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:40 AM   #3

Great shots (as ever) Royce, can't really tell you what one I like best,
only wished that there was more watter thrown up in nr4, would have made that shot a certified POM entry.
Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:13 AM   #4

All very nice - I especially like the last mallard for some reason (sharp, good color etc.). The snowy egret is nice, too - looks like you've got the metering technique down pretty well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:20 AM   #5

I like the landing Mallard, catching it just as it touches the water.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:54 PM   #6

Nice catch on the landing Mallard. Hehehehehe chaos is definitely the buzz word on gulls en masse, but that's a fun sight. See that a lot around here when one of the regulars drives down to feed the gulls.

Practice is definitely paying off in the white feather exposure. I taking special notes for when I get around to getting closer to the pelicans and egrets here.

Thanks for sharing,

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:02 PM   #7

Here's one who decided to leave the rush hour traffic!

Glenn
Attached Images

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:27 PM   #8

Hehe. Nice. That's a beautiful lake. Where is it?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:46 PM   #9

The lake is in Titisee/Neustadt, Germany. Normally at this time it would be frozen and have several feet of snow, but this year its been warm and snowless!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 4:19 AM   #10

Great shots Royce. I'm really impressed with that lens - and your skills of course. I had that lens a couple of years ago, and the one I had was a real dog. Never seen such soft images. Looks like the one you got is a keeper. I understand that this is a problem with some Sigmas - inconsistent IQ from one lens to the next.....cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote