Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1

I think some people have gone nuts! I thought I paid too much for my FA version ($1100 LESS!), but now it looks like I got it for next to nothing...where will it all end...Don

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...;rd=1&rd=1
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2

That one doesn't surprise me - the FA I bid on this fall went for $1100, and the F version sells for a premium because it has a tripod mount. My guess would be that the price of these lenses will dropsome when the new DA*300 comes out, but right now there are way more people who want a top-of-the-line long lens, especially one this good, and not enough lenses to go around.The price rightnow is well beyond my means!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3

Holy smokes. I was watching that lens. I just checked it yesterday and it was like $800. Crazy. Well I hope whoever won that lens, gets some real nice shots. :?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:40 PM   #4

Seems like a lot of extra money for a tripod mount. I hardly ever use a tripod or monopod with the FA. I find I rarely need it-especially now with SR. Heck, I hardly ever used a mono or tripod while it was on my long gone istDS. Only time I do is if I've got a tc connected, and even then, most of the time I use it handheld. There's another FA on eBay right now. It's already around $500. Be interesting to see what this one goes for. We should have a pool..ha ha.....cheers.........Don
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:17 AM   #5

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Seems like a lot of extra money for a tripod mount. I hardly ever use a tripod or monopod with the FA. I find I rarely need it-especially now with SR. Heck, I hardly ever used a mono or tripod while it was on my long gone istDS. Only time I do is if I've got a tc connected, and even then, most of the time I use it handheld. There's another FA on eBay right now. It's already around $500. Be interesting to see what this one goes for. We should have a pool..ha ha.....cheers.........Don
Hi Don,

A poster on another forum had asked Pentax whether they had any extra F*300/4.5 tripod collars, and whether they could be fitted to an FA. The response he got was that they were thinking of making one available in the future. After the last lens roadmap, showing the projected D FA300, my guess became that this lens might have a removeable tripod collar (or offer an accessory one) that might fit on the FA*300/4.5 -- but I, like you rarely use this lens with a pod, so the probably unreasonably high price they might charge would pretty much be a waste of money for me (and the collar would just get in the way).

Besides, many F*300/4.5 users have stated that the combo is more stable when the camera body is mounted on the tripod. Something about mirror slap being dampened more effectively by the body mount rather than the ring on the lens. I don't know about this first hand, but I'd take their word for it.

Sales like this should encourage Pentax to build the D FA teles to a high quality standard, yet meke them affordable as they did with the K10. They obviously have the optical formulae as shown in the A* and FA*200/2.8 EDs and the F* and FA* 300/4.5 ED IFs, and the M* and A*300/4s that preceded them. We can only hope. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 2:20 AM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
That one doesn't surprise me - the FA I bid on this fall went for $1100, and the F version sells for a premium because it has a tripod mount. My guess would be that the price of these lenses will dropsome when the new DA*300 comes out, but right now there are way more people who want a top-of-the-line long lens, especially one this good, and not enough lenses to go around.The price rightnow is well beyond my means!
I don't believe the new 300 is designated a DA* - last I saw it was a D-FA - which means it probably won't be f/2.8 - but should be fairly nice anyway
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:06 AM   #7

You are right - I saw D FA also, but didn't translate into my head right. I'm sure that it won't be a 2.8, they already make one like that occasionally. Won't it be f4 or f4.5? That would be fast enough and much smaller/lighter than 2.8. The current 2.8 is way too big for me to handle!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:39 AM   #8

My FA* is so light that it doesn't need a tripod collar and the FA* has some extra electronics in it that the F* does not. A friend of mine has the F* and he took the tripod collar off and never uses it.

One reason these lenses are so popular is that they are full frame lenses instead of the APS lenses Pentax (as well as Nikon) is making now and they can be used on film cameras as well as the possible full frame digital cameras in the future.

The recent popularity of Pentax DSLR's is the reason these premium lenses are out of control price wise. We all want one and there are very few available that are for sale.

My FA* 300mm cost me $735 new when I got it back in my film only days!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:49 AM   #9

My point exactly Tom. The FA lens doesn't need a tripod collar, and I doubt the F version does either. Light weight lens for what it is. I'm just happy that I picked one up for what seems like a more sane price. I guess if they come out with a full frame camera, ala Canon's 5d, these lenses will be worth even more. But a full frame is doubtful I would think. They're reserving that for their medium format. At least they've indicated they are.......Don.

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
My FA* is so light that it doesn't need a tripod collar and the FA* has some extra electronics in it that the F* does not. A friend of mine has the F* and he took the tripod collar off and never uses it.

One reason these lenses are so popular is that they are full frame lenses instead of the APS lenses Pentax (as well as Nikon) is making now and they can be used on film cameras as well as the possible full frame digital cameras in the future.

The recent popularity of Pentax DSLR's is the reason these premium lenses are out of control price wise. We all want one and there are very few available that are for sale.

My FA* 300mm cost me $735 new when I got it back in my film only days!

Tom