Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:02 AM   #11

If the picture is white, the camera is overexposing, consistent with the low-light settings the camera is coming up with. That's what my Kiron lens is doing - the one with oil on the aperture blades. In this case, make sure your lens is working right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:13 AM   #12

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
this is wierd
my ds seems to now be doing the same thing
telling me i need 1/15th second at f4.5 on a bright sunny day
That may be the case if you had spot metering where the centre spot is relatively dim. There are just too many variable to isolate the problem.
Also the metering issue is on and off only usu at low light and wide aperture for manual lens.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:46 AM   #13

i tried it with my other lenses
oddly enough with the auto lenses it overeposed
but with the manual lenses it underexposed
by a lot
and in all metering modes it seems

i have taken the batteries out and will try lithiums tomorrow to see what happens

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:47 AM   #14

ok
i bought the lithiums and at first they seem to be working good
but after a while the exposure problem returned
i tried it with a number of lenses and with different modes, av, tv, auto, various picture modes
i guess my next step is to ring Pentax
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:02 AM   #15

Let us know how you make out with it. I cringe whenever I think about shipping something back for repair, but I've never had a bad experience with it. Don't know why I have a "thing" about it. Good luck with this.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:40 PM   #16

I have also had problems with exposure, but all my lenses are AF (Sigma, Tamron, and Pentax). The Problems happened with matrix and center weighted, and the problem was infrequent. Sometimes would underexpose a couple stops, and rarely would overexpose. Would frequently happen in continuous shot mode. I thought it was just the meter, and started shooting mostly in manual. Then I discovered inconsistancies even in manual. I had two shots taken of the same scene with identical exposure settings. One shot was great and the other almost entirely black. At this point it became obvious the camera had bigger issues than just an erratic meter.

So I contacted technical support and they recommended I send it in for service. I've sent it in a week ago and am not looking forward to it taking another 3 weeks for service. I had it a month and then it will be in service for a month. This is the worst experience I've had with a new camera in 27 years of owning and shooting cameras. Hoping they fix the problem the first time. Will let you all know how the repair experience works out.
mcleanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:31 PM   #17

I spoke to my camera guy and he felt that it might be dirty contacts between lens and camera, considering the extreme humidity and temperatures.

At it's worst, I had the camera pointing at a landscape shot, on a tripod and set to matrix, spot focus in AV mode at f/5.6. ISO 200, the shutter was flutuating between 1/240 and 1/3200. I knew then I had a problem.

In Manual mode I would select the shutter and aperture and keep adjusting to get correct exposure, on average the camera was recording that theEV was +1.7.

Anyways, I cleaned the contacts and changed lenses and have not a had a problem since, tempted to switch back to the other lens and see what happens. :shock:

McleanB, yeah I now what you mean about waiting for servicing, the viewfinder in my DL started to distort and they sent it back to Pentax for a whole new penta-mirror set up. :?

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:20 PM   #18

its good you fixed your problem

how did you clean the contacts ?

hopefully it can fix mine too

Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:32 PM   #19

An old trick I learned in the Army, find a pencil with an eraser and rub the pencil on the contacts then flip the pencil over and use the eraser to rub the contacts clean.

Seems to be working fine. :-)
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 10:54 PM   #20

Glad your fix was that easy! I had a scare today at lunch - I went out to take some pictures and the first one was very underexposed. Thought I'd been bitten with the same bug until I happened to notice that my camera was set to -2.0. The night before I had been playing around the night before and forgot to reset the EV! Duh!