Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Peacekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,024
Default

Okay everyone I am not here to bash the K10D, I love mine and as much as it is familiar compared to using the DL, they are leagues apart and I am relearning how to take good shots.

The other day I noticed something odd, I was shooting at ISO100, AWB, in AV mode shooting somewhere around f/6-f/8. The day is bright and sunny (Now in Timor..woohoo) and images are all being exposed at around 1/250 - 1/320sec etc suddenly my images go dark and the shutter is up around 1/3200sec. The meter is saying it is correclty exposed with the indicator sitting on 0.0 and when I shoot the images are almost black.

I noticed that the flash symbol is also flashing in my viewfinder and on my LCD screen on top. I tried manual mode, Sv Tv everything, I switched off the camera, removed the grip, removed the camera battery. Turned it back on and still showing correct exposure when is is about 8-9 stops too low. Then suddenly the thing starts shooting correctly again.

It has done it to me twice now in one day but not since, The camera is being operated in humid conditions at about 30deg celsius and was being moved back forth from inside an airconditined car. I suspect that the aircon was causing some sort of issue with the the sensor or light meter.....

Strange that my DL camera never played up at all in Tonga or Solomon Islands which was more humid and hotter and I was doing to same sort of thing, drive around see something step out and shoot and keep driving.

Has anyone encountered this sudden underexposure problem at all? My fear is that I have a intermittent fault with the light meter and will have to send my camera back to Australia, not good when you are trying to shoot everyday on a small island nation.

And finally before anyone pipes in, Yes I had the lens cap off!!! hehe

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:04 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
thekman620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,084
Default

I've done some cold weather shooting and have had no problems. Was your battery weak at the time? Temperature fluctuations could have been the problem. See if it persists, and if it does, contact Pentax....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:21 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Okay everyone I am not here to bash the K10D, I love mine and as much as it is familiar compared to using the DL, they are leagues apart and I am relearning how to take good shots.

The other day I noticed something odd, I was shooting at ISO100, AWB, in AV mode shooting somewhere around f/6-f/8. The day is bright and sunny (Now in Timor..woohoo) and images are all being exposed at around 1/250 - 1/320sec etc suddenly my images go dark and the shutter is up around 1/3200sec. The meter is saying it is correclty exposed with the indicator sitting on 0.0 and when I shoot the images are almost black.

I noticed that the flash symbol is also flashing in my viewfinder and on my LCD screen on top. I tried manual mode, Sv Tv everything, I switched off the camera, removed the grip, removed the camera battery. Turned it back on and still showing correct exposure when is is about 8-9 stops too low. Then suddenly the thing starts shooting correctly again.

It has done it to me twice now in one day but not since, The camera is being operated in humid conditions at about 30deg celsius and was being moved back forth from inside an airconditined car. I suspect that the aircon was causing some sort of issue with the the sensor or light meter.....

Strange that my DL camera never played up at all in Tonga or Solomon Islands which was more humid and hotter and I was doing to same sort of thing, drive around see something step out and shoot and keep driving.

Has anyone encountered this sudden underexposure problem at all? My fear is that I have a intermittent fault with the light meter and will have to send my camera back to Australia, not good when you are trying to shoot everyday on a small island nation.

And finally before anyone pipes in, Yes I had the lens cap off!!! hehe

Crash
Light metering issue of K10D with manual lens is a subject covered by Phil forum for quite sometime. Basically it only happens to old glass. Situation like this (shuttter speed jumps to 1/3200 and you will know it will underexpose) could not excape your attention that metering is completely out of whack.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21795953

The light metering is off like in a curve. It is quite serious for manual lens when wide open. Stop down or using FA or FA J or DA lens can correct that. Or you compensate the lighting yourself manually which is a pain.

It is more than a firmware issue

Daniel







danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 6:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Hayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,318
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Situation like this (shuttter speed jumps to 1/3200 and you will know it will underexpose) could not excape your attention that metering is completely out of whack.....

Or you compensate the lighting yourself manually which is a pain.
Its a fully manual lens and you expect much more than full manual mode to work.... that sorta seems like A DUHHHH.

Even if an electronic AE lens (most early AE were't they were electro (lens)mechanical adjustment).... and unless one of the K Mounts not sure I'd exspect it to work flawlessly in anything but manual.


Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

My K10D is very touchy about metering and I have to pay attention to what I am doing or it will over expose very bright subjects, which my DS does not do. It will blow the whites out every time no matter what metering mode, or if I am using jpg or RAW unless I pay close attention to the situation.

My DS is very forgiving in the same situations and almost never has this problem.

It is the one thing I really don't like about the K10D and I am waiting for some firmware update that will fix this.

This is with any lens, not just manual lenses.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

The only time I've had underexposing problems have been with the K100 when the batteries are low, not with the K10.

The only times I've had problems with over exposing and manual lenses was when I was using spot metering (had thought it would automatically center weight metering with manual lenses) and a scene with too much dynamic range (figured it metered from the darkest item, which I had been pointing the camera at), but I haven't been using manual lenses that much.

I do agree with Tom - the K10 is very sensitive when it comes to exposure. Unless I'm shooting white birds orsomething equally difficult,I avoid spot metering. Both the DS and K100 are more forgiving with this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Peacekeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,024
Default

I was using a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX lens, I tried adjusting the Metering mode from area to spot and centre weighted....no impact on the problem.

I had a fully charged battery in the camera and another in the grip, with the battery selection set to "grip first". Even removing the grip did not fix the problem.

At the time I was shooting a landscape that was about 400m away and I had shot 4-5 shots already and then ..damn...dark images, checked the framing and they were the same, it was not like I re-framed the shot and was getting a reflection off ofsomething.

I will watch and wait to see if it does it again.

Stay Safe

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

If it happens again I'd talk to Pentax - doesn't sound normal, even for a manual lens. I definitely feel for you!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 9:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,890
Default

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Situation like this (shuttter speed jumps to 1/3200 and you will know it will underexpose) could not excape your attention that metering is completely out of whack.....

Or you compensate the lighting yourself manually which is a pain.
Its a fully manual lens and you expect much more than full manual mode to work.... that sorta seems like A DUHHHH.

Even if an electronic AE lens (most early AE were't they were electro (lens)mechanical adjustment).... and unless one of the K Mounts not sure I'd exspect it to work flawlessly in anything but manual.

Hayward ,

I do agree with you on this.
It happens only in manual lens, low light and at wider aperture.
My Zenitar manual lens ( 16mm) has it with K100D as well on and off. Big deal. I do not have a light meter. But my eye can see some obvious discrepancies in metering

Daniel, Toronto


danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Gumnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,259
Default

this is wierd
my ds seems to now be doing the same thing
telling me i need 1/15th second at f4.5 on a bright sunny day
using the sigma 18-55 digital lens
the resulting picture is white

the viewfinder display also seems dim

i used recharchargeble 2500 imah nimh batteries that were just charged and the battery indicator shows the batteries are fully charged

then suddenly the display lights up and the meter reads as it should
then it goes back to reading wrong


Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:23 AM.