Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:56 AM   #1

Just charged up a set of crv3-r (Juice brand) and lo and behold I checked the (not loaded) voltage . It is 4 V . I checked also my Energizer NiMH 2500MAh. It is 1 V. Voltage taken not loaded and indoor. They are 100% in voltage apart
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!.
No wonder both my DL & K100D were not working right outdoor under -5 deg C to -15 deg C outdoor.
Gee any suggestion from you guys?
And for sure, stop complaining about Pentax dslr having a batt issue. It is way way out of any design parameter.
I am pondering about mixing the batt out to balance the voltage. I
am to use my DL (over 11,000 shots vintage) as the guinea pig

Daniel, Toronto
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:01 PM   #2

Daniel, I remembered reading something about the CR-V3 batteries in the DL manual. So I looked it up and it says not to use rechargable CR-V3s because they have some voltage characteristics that will cause the camera to malfunction.There are some other tips on page 26 that might speak to some oftheissues you are havingas well.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:55 PM   #3

Yep. The message has been stated loud & clear before- don't used rechargeable CRV3 batteries as the charged voltage reputedly can damage the camera.

Rechargeable NiHi batteries should show a voltage of between 1.2V & 1.5V - off load.

Always keep the camera inside outer clothing to keep things a near body temperature - except when picture taking.

NiHi batteries can be frozen when charged to keep them from discharging - but must be thawed out before use - pretty obvious really.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:22 PM   #4

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, I remembered reading something about the CR-V3 batteries in the DL manual. So I looked it up and it says not to use rechargable CR-V3s because they have some voltage characteristics that will cause the camera to malfunction.There are some other tips on page 26 that might speak to some oftheissues you are havingas well.

Glenn
That has been discussed in a few threads in the other forum. The trouble oif CRV3 is that they are nominally 3 V each. But some of them could have been 4V . That is the voltage characteristics.

>Rechargeable NiHi batteries should show a voltage of between 1.2V & 1.5V - off >load.

They are more like 1V - 1.2V particularly in colder situation resultingin camera indicating that the batt is depleted which may not be true.

Daniel

Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:09 PM   #5

Hi I'm new to this forum, but have been trolling for some time. I was wondering if these are the "Juice" brand rechargable CRV3s that you speak of.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

They are only rated at roughly 1400mAh or so??? I have read that you've used these with good results and am able to take 500+ shots on a single charge. I assume that this is with very little LCD and flash use? Thanks.
lakorus125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:10 PM   #6

Sorry, wrong link

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Rechargeable-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:27 PM   #7

lakorus125 wrote:
Quote:
Hi I'm new to this forum, but have been trolling for some time. I was wondering if these are the "Juice" brand rechargable CRV3s that you speak of.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...43&forum_id=80

They are only rated at roughly 1400mAh or so??? I have read that you've used these with good results and am able to take 500+ shots on a single charge. I assume that this is with very little LCD and flash use? Thanks.
I have 2 sets of them. One set has been in my DL for around 8000 shots for a yr now. Zero issue at all. When you have got them, make sure (the output side gives out 3.1V which it should . Well one issue. I have to remind myself to take the set out for swapping with a newly charged set every 3 months. You can forget their existence and just keep shooting. A Godsend for cold weather shooting.

I am sorry I gave the wrong info as the 4 V (I measured and reported in Feb 07 ) were from the input side. (the batt has 4 contact - 2 on each side)

For unknown reason, my K100D does not like the batt. The sensor kept moving even after I press the shutter. So I have Eneloop there.

RCRV3 have been extensively used and reported in the Pentax site of Taiwan.

Daniel
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:32 PM   #8

I actually ended up ordering the Moby Power 2300 rechargeable CRV3s today. It seems like a lot of peope with the K100D are getting great results from them. Hopefully I can follow suit. Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:45 PM   #9

Investigation of CR-V3 cells and the charger

A while back I bought some rechargeable CR-V3 batteries + a charger from 7dayshop in the Channel Islands, the intention being to use them in my K100D, I'd read in the manual that CR-V3s were recommended, too late I realised that the rechargeable variety were not recommended ... I should have read the manual more thoroughly. When they arrived I charged them, and out of curiosity checked their voltages, the cells are 3 pin devices ... output voltage was around 3.8 volts at the output pins on both batteries, and about 0.3 volt higher on the centre charger pins @ approx 4.2 volts. ... Decidedly too high for use with the K100D, so they have been employed in another project where the voltage wasn't too critical.
Recently my curiosity lead me to take a look at the charger circuitry, having worked in the electronics field for most of my working life, I felt sure there would some variable element in the circuit to allow a more precise setting of the charging voltage, and compensating for tolerances in other components. This proved to be the case, and after accessing the unit by removing 4 screws from the underside of the base, I found there was a potentiometer in the circuit which did indeed vary the charging voltage. While monitoring the charge voltage ... I found conventionally that anticlockwise rotation of the pot reduced the voltage, so as an experiment I reset it at 0.3 volt lower than previous. The result was after my next charge I found the batteries were now just that much lower, measuring now 3.5 Volts.
This information is posted as just that, I must make the disclaimer that anyone making use of this info to correct any marginal overvoltage in their CR-V3s do so at their own risk, it is however a very simple procedure, and provided you take the precaution of noting and marking if possible the original setting point. then carrying on with small adjustments while noting the results, all should be well. I will admit I have tried these batteries in the K100D, and noted no adverse effect, the camera working quite normally, I haven't tried it on a more permanent basis. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:48 PM   #10

Circuit board ...
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote