Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:17 PM   #1

On that other forum, there's a thread asking if the 50mm f/1.4 is really so bad (discussion about front focusing, I think). Here are a couple taken in bad light with the 50mm f/1.4. I think it's a great lens. My K100 will be delivered tomorrow!!!
Attached Images

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:17 PM   #2

My grandson watching the game
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:29 PM   #3

Thanks for posting the pictures. I like the one of the girls playing basketball and have a fairly keen appreciation of its excellence, as I have been struggling to take decent basketball photos of my daughter's basketball team for the last eight weeks. I have the Pentax M f/1.4, which is good for the light - but the manual focusing is a headache (and a bit of a crap shoot). So I've been relying on a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8, which has been satisfactory, but not great. I'd like to get the Pentax autofocus f/1.4 but I can't find it in stock anywhere!

Congratulations on arrival of your K100D. I predict that you'll love it. I love mine.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 8:35 PM   #4

I have both the M and FA versions. I use the manual one frequently when I'm shooting "non-action" shots. I was lucky enough to order the FA version just before they started getting hard to find.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:06 PM   #5

Polytrope wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I like the one of the girls playing basketball and have a fairly keen appreciation of its excellence, as I have been struggling to take decent basketball photos of my daughter's basketball team for the last eight weeks. I have the Pentax M f/1.4, which is good for the light - but the manual focusing is a headache (and a bit of a crap shoot). So I've been relying on a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8, which has been satisfactory, but not great. I'd like to get the Pentax autofocus f/1.4 but I can't find it in stock anywhere!

Congratulations on arrival of your K100D. I predict that you'll love it. I love mine.

Will
will,
shoot in raw and pretty much once you take an exposure reading you'll be able to use that setting thru out the game as the lighting does not change much from anywhere on the court..

roy
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:17 PM   #6

Congrats on K100D. You will really love the SR.

As with any lens, when wide open it is not the greatest but nonetheless a wonderful prime.

Most of the time it is the shallow DOF that gives me issues especially when trying MF, especially with long lenses.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:25 PM   #7

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
On that other forum, there's a thread asking if the 50mm f/1.4 is really so bad (discussion about front focusing, I think). Here are a couple taken in bad light with the 50mm f/1.4. I think it's a great lens. My K100 will be delivered tomorrow!!!
The subject line of that thread should read like: is FA50mm1.4 that good?"

And it is. Congrat on your K100D and you will be posting more of your low light no flash indoor shot.

Daniel

earlier FA50mm 1.4 posted

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=51444
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:40 PM   #8

Congrats on getting Your K100D.

I recently picked up a Very gently used K100D. So far for a Wide varity Of reasons i have not been able To play much with it. But the 50+ Test shots, I have managed to take look great
So far I have only used JPG, but they look great. And Knock On wood no sign of battery Issues. Just For laughs i put in a set of AA Alkalines and with 50 Shots the meter is still Full.
Next month will be the Big test, when we leave For our Western Caribbeen Cruise. I am really looking Forward to Shooting some of the Mayan ruins.
One of the lenses that Will Go with Me is my FA50 1.4

Again Congrats on the K100D

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:45 PM   #9

Quote:
The subject line of that thread should read like: is FA50mm1.4 that good?" And it is. Congrat on your K100D and you will be posting more of your low light no flash indoor shot. Daniel earlier FA50mm 1.4 posted http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=51444
Indeed. Your shot is a clear example.

Aside from the IQ of the lens, which is really great (sharpness, bokeh, color rendition etc), use for portraiture is what probably makes it so great.

The reason I am saying that is because although FA 35mm F2 is close in those respects, it simply does not have the same Wow element. The focal length is definetly a factor, IMHO.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 11:07 AM   #10

Daniel,

I didn't catch your shot in the earlier thread, but took a look at it this time around (since the 50mm f1.4 seems like such a great lens). Did you take that picture at Markville Mall? My memory is a bit fuzzy, but that's what it looks like
intence is offline   Reply With Quote