Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

Hi All,

Got a little break in the cold weather, so I decided to go out to see if the local elk were out in the open. They were, so I grabbed a few shots with the K10 and the DA50-200.

Naw, they're not "in the wild"-- there's a town - Elk Grove Village -- which maintains a small herd in a section of a large forest preserve complex. These were shot through a fence from 10-40 ft away:-).

BTW, on the first shot, I cloned out a big half fallen tree that I thought interferred with the elk's rack, and on the second, I cloned out the tag on his left ear. Otherwise, these are pretty much as taken, except for cropping to 5x7 for printing

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2

hahaha, great shots. I was going to ask if you took these shots in Elk Grove. What burbs are you in?
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:56 PM   #3

Hi Flaco,

I'm in unincorporated Cook between Des Plaines and Niles, close to a lot of forest preserves -- a surprisingly "rural" area in the midst of a whole lot of city.

Scott
Old Feb 8, 2007, 2:15 PM   #4

I work not to far from that area. I work in riverwoods, Il... I live up north, closer to the wisconsin border.
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:20 PM   #5

Don't care if they were behind a fence or not, they are still very nice. I'm amazed at what wonderful pictures others get with the DA50-200 (was going to ask where the FA300 was).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:40 AM   #6

Hi Harriet,

The FA*300 was complaining about the single digit temps around here lately, so is getting a well-deserved rest -- not many birds here now, and I've got literally hundreds of shots of those that choose to stick out the winter. They're almost as tired of me taking their photos as my cats :-).

The problem is, whenever I have "short" lenses on the camera, hawks and falcons seem to come out of the woodwork -- Twice in the last week (I can't go out too much when it's this cold), I had xx-200 zooms on the cam, and first, a red-tailed hawk swoops down right in front of my car then lands on a nearby telephone pole. Then today, I'm driving with the 50-200 on the K10 on the passenger seat, and a peregrine falcon lands on a tree just across the intersection where I'm waiting out a stoplight. He's still there when the light changes, but when I get as close as I can and roll the window down, he takes off while I'm cranking the zoom out -- wouldn't have been close enough anyway, but with the 300 and the 1.7x (over twice the focal length), I would have had a chance at a decent shot. Murphy's Law -- the story of my photographic endeavors. . .:roll:.

Scott