Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:07 PM   #11

beautiful wood duck. i'm curious if running the image through neat image or noise ninja helps to minimize the banding effect. banding is just lines of noise when you push the ISO right?
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:50 PM   #12

In my camera's case, the banding is like a pattern to Neat Image, something it will maintain while dealing with all other random noise. If you try to get a Neat Image sample from a place where there's banding, the program will say the spot isn't consistent. It seems like not all cameras have the problem, and some have it more than others. Mine isn't as bad as some examples (though they may have been pictures where the image was pushed - guaranteed to introduce a lot more noise of all types - don't know how the person posting them processed them).

I recently took some night fog pictures and Neat Image said there were no consistent spot to profile from (when there should have been). I ended up using channel mixer to convert the picture to b&w, and discovered that one of the channels had no banding and very little noise to it - so I converted it to b&w (appropriate for a street light/fog picture).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:12 PM   #13

Just out of curiosity, have you updated the firmware in the K10D yet? (ver 1.10)

They did a couple of processing fixes, and added a bunch of new control options.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...firmId=8793673
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:06 PM   #14

Hi Hayward. Yes, I did the firmware update. This type of pattern doesn't worry me one bit. As I said earlier, my old DS was just as bad if I pushed the sensor beyond it's limits. This is the case here. After 2000 shots, and to only see this on 1 or maybe 2 photos, the banding issue is a non issue for me. Too much was made of this camera flaw if you ask me, and chances are, you will not experience it if exposure is correct, and you aren't pushing the sensor to extreme limits in DR using high ISO....cheers........Don

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, have you updated the firmware in the K10D yet? (ver 1.10)

They did a couple of processing fixes, and added a bunch of new control options.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...firmId=8793673
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:11 PM   #15

Hi Royce. I didn't bother trying to fix it with a NR program. I usually wouldn't bother with a photo like this that didn't turn out - I'd just move on. The exposure was difficult for a high ISO shot, so the IQ suffered. Not a big deal. Extreme DR and a high ISO is a recipe for bad IQ - at least I'd think it would be...cheers....Don

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
beautiful wood duck. i'm curious if running the image through neat image or noise ninja helps to minimize the banding effect. banding is just lines of noise when you push the ISO right?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:15 PM   #16

Hi mtngal. I'm not one to use NR very often. Hardly ever would be more like it. If I do, it is usually because I under exposed the shot, and have introduced noise as a result of pp. I have the NR in my camera turned off. Shooting in RAW, I don't think it would be applied anyway, although I'm not 100% sure about that...cheers.....Don

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
In my camera's case, the banding is like a pattern to Neat Image, something it will maintain while dealing with all other random noise. If you try to get a Neat Image sample from a place where there's banding, the program will say the spot isn't consistent. It seems like not all cameras have the problem, and some have it more than others. Mine isn't as bad as some examples (though they may have been pictures where the image was pushed - guaranteed to introduce a lot more noise of all types - don't know how the person posting them processed them).

I recently took some night fog pictures and Neat Image said there were no consistent spot to profile from (when there should have been). I ended up using channel mixer to convert the picture to b&w, and discovered that one of the channels had no banding and very little noise to it - so I converted it to b&w (appropriate for a street light/fog picture).
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:18 PM   #17

Hi Tom

So film would react the same way if pushed too far? Makes sense. Can't ask a sensor or film to produce high IQ beyond it's limits...cheers....Don

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Looks just like my slide film did when I pushed it from a normal ISO 400 to ISO 3200, which is more of a color shift, where the color falls apart. In digital because of the way the pixels show the image, it looks like banding instead of the random color shift with film.

Tom
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:06 PM   #18

Both shots look good to me Don! Nothing I would be concerned with! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote