Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1

Ok, not to worry. Heh, heh. Well after 2000 shots on my k10d, I've finally experienced the dreaded vertical banding.:angry: BUT, let me say, after this many shots, something like this could possibly crop up, and it is no doubt due to...human error.... reminds me of 2001-- "Open the pod bay doors Hal". Well the shot was at ISO 1600, badly underexposed, and with high DR. After this many photos and to finally see this, I must say, it's no big deal. Just to show what it can do at ISO 1600, I included a properly exposed shot too...cheers.....Don

1 This is the vertical banding shot.
Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:48 AM   #2

2. This iscloser to aproperly exposed shot at ISO 1600. Probably still a little too underexposed. There may be a little banding on thisit too, but not a big deal. I really can't tell on my monitor. Just to show you don't have to worry too much shooting at ISO 1600 if your exposure is close to correct...cheers........Don
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:48 AM   #3

Ok, I'm now at work on my LCD screen, and it does show some banding on the2nd shot too. Can't see it on my CRT at home, and it is calibrated. This one at work isn't. Still, this is the first time I've noticed this in 2000+ shots, and I've had lots of ISO 1600 photos taken. Now if this happened at ISO 800 or lower, I'd be a little worried maybe - and only if the shot was properly exposed. I used to get banding quite often on my old DS at 1600, and it was due to improperly exposed photos 99% of the time. These 2 photos are not keepers by any means-just examples for discussion...cheers..Don
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:56 AM   #4

Gotta say, I can't see any banding on either one of them.

Both look like good shots, with slight elevated noise levels - what you would expect when maxxing out the sensor.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 1:59 AM   #5

My point exactly Darren. I think you could make any sensor band or crap out by pushing it too far. I'm still loving my k10d:-)....Don

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Gotta say, I can't see any banding on either one of them.

Both look like good shots, with slight elevated noise levels - what you would expect when maxxing out the sensor.

Darren
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:42 AM   #6

thekman, I almost don't see it on my crt, and to really see it, I have to open it up in photoshop and completely destroy it with contrast and brightness. So for me this banding problem will propably never be a problem.

Imho those shots are great, and I like the first one best

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:29 AM   #7

I'd be more concerned about the way the female duck was looking at you - good shots - probably not possible if taken without boosting the ISO.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:21 AM   #8

Thanks Ronny and Catbells. On my CRT at home, they don't look awful, but maybe ok. At work on the LCD I'm using now, they look like crap. Good old Dell lcd monitor. What will we do when there are no more CRT's?....cheers.....Don
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:08 AM   #9

I'm looking at them with a Dell LCD at work, and can only barely see banding on the first one. However, I find this monitor is pretty dark compared to my monitor at home. From what I see on this one, the banding you show isn't anything that would bother me. I'll be fascinated to look at this tonight on my monitor at home (Sony LCD) or the crummy one here at work to see if there's a difference. I wouldn't worry about your banding, but mine has always seemed much more of a problem.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:21 AM   #10

Looks just like my slide film did when I pushed it from a normal ISO 400 to ISO 3200, which is more of a color shift, where the color falls apart. In digital because of the way the pixels show the image, it looks like banding instead of the random color shift with film.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote