Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:41 PM   #11

I'm going to have to print these - I'm now looking at them all on my laptop's monitor, where IHAD been looking at them on a 19" LCD (yep - Darren got that one right!) and I barely see it now on the ACR version of the crops, and not at all on the Pentax software versions. And I don't see it at all on the reduced full frame versions of any of them. I'm still not sure if the problem is with the camera, the monitor or the software (I did shoot this in raw).

I give up!

So what do you think of the picture otherwise? There really wasn't enough fog around to give the scene the "look" I wanted, but thought the way the sensor handled the lighting was different (to change the subject).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:42 PM   #12

Personally I think the picture is really good. I like the atmosphere is portrays. I would print this at A4 and hang on the wall.

The other thing to remember, is that the monitor needs to be on for at least an hour for the picture to settle down. Viewing before this time can give unreliable results.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:24 AM   #13

Hi mtngal. Nice night shot. I've looked at these samples over and over, and on my CRT monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 950b-dot pitch .21), I can see very little difference in these samples.This is a bit of a different type of taxing of the sensor. Those wood duck shots were high DR, and the camera's sensor was pushed to the limit. Did you handhold this shot or was it on a tripod. Personally, if I was to shoot a photo as the one you posted here, it would be on a tripod at ISO 100, and I'd let the camera do it's black frame and NR thing on its own. I haven't done any night shooting yet with the k10, so will post when I eventually do.
Don't put too much heed in the odd shot that doesn't turn out. I've had 3 dslr's now, and they all produced bad shots with banding and noise at high ISO settings. It happens with dslr's. Chances are, if you took the same shot with different camera settings, you'd get a better or even worse result. These cameras aren't perfect. If it was a consistent problem that showed up in regular shooting at low ISO settings, I'd be worried, but that is unlikely. High ISO can produce a lot of strange artifacts I've found.......cheers....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:27 AM   #14

I can't see much difference on my laptop until they are blown up and even then it isn't much.

I also agree that the full frame shots are very nice just the way they are and would make a great print.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:29 AM   #15

Any one would be great in a frame.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:13 AM   #16

This is a beautiful shot with lots of mood, regardless of which version you choose. I really can't see enough difference on my screen to make any decision. I wouldn't worry about it, just use the software that gives you the results you like with the minimum amount of hassle.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:30 PM   #17

Harriet, The shots look fine on my monitor! I would say if you have to look that hard to find a problem then it isn't enough of a problem to be concerned with! As someone else stated no camera is going to be perfect. Another thing that could be making a difference is how you have the resolution set on your monitor. If it was me I wouldn't be sending it in for repair. :-) Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:13 AM   #18

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I've looked at them on my monitor at work, a Dell LCD, and I can't see anything. It is adjusted differently than my home monitor. Now to buy ink and print this one - I'm beginning to think that the "banding" issue really is an issue with monitors, much like what I think is called "screen-clash" or something like that, rather than an issue with the camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote