Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1

Got to thinking as I was looking at those lovely wood ducks of thekman. His camera doesn't have much banding, even when he pushed his first photo. I got to thinking what might be different between his camera and mine, and decided to experiment a bit. This is one of the night-time fog pictures that I gave up on when I saw it originally. It was taken at ISO 800 and rawand has had nothing done to it other than being converted to jpg. I used Pentax PhotoBrowser, Pentax PhotoLab and ACR.

I rarely use PhotoBrowser to do anything more than look at exif data, so I on that one I clicked on the picture and chose save, which opens up a save-as box. I saved it as jpg, then opened it in CS2 to resize. I re-opened the converted file and took a 100% crop.

I did essentially did the same thing with ACR, except that I saved the originally converted file as a TIFF file. My ACR is set to not do any auto adjustments (rarely liked what the computer would do to my pictures).

The PhotoLab picture is modified - I used its noise reduction feature and reduced the saturation a bit. I didn't change any color settings - the rather strange color is due to how the camera sensor sees these strange street lights. I didn't try to change the white balance - thought it looked kind-of neat this way.

Finally, I took the 100% crop of the ACR version and ran it through Neat Image, and used USM to try to recoup the lost detail (as a comparison with the PhotoLab version).

When you look at the resized pictures, you don't see much for banding. If you look at the 100% crops, the ACR version shows more noise, both random and banding, than the other two, but quite a bit more detail. There is less noise in the PhotoBrowser version, and the color is slightly different. The PhotoLab version dealt with much of the random noise, but there is still some banding (though not as much). The Neat Image/ACR version has the least amount of noise, the least amount of detail (though I used a fair amount of USM to try to re-gain some of it) and still shows a bit of banding.

The fact that thekman has less pattern noise in his pushed ISO 1000 picture than I have in my out-of-the-camera ISO 800 picture makes me think about talking to the Pentax repair people. What do others think of my samples, as compared to the wood ducks?

Full frame, resized, PhotoBrowser conversion:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2

Full Frame, PhotoLab version:
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:33 PM   #3

Full frame, ACR version:
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4

Now for the 100% crops:

PhotoBrowser:
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:35 PM   #5

PhotoLab crop (used their version of noise reduction, not no sharpening either in PhotoLab or CS2):
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:36 PM   #6

ACR crop, without any other processing:
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:38 PM   #7

ACR with Neat Image and USM:

By the way, the crops were taken from the section of the picture with the curb and the parking meter pole. You can see part of the bottom rail at the top, the bottom is a parking space. I chose that as having a representation of both light and dark.
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:10 PM   #8

Then again even at 800 you are demanding more.... the ducks were clearly still somwaht daylight and yours pure dark.

And the full size image looks fine... maybe even printed.... but to zoom/crop in and pick apart pixels.... that is asking quite a lot over even at 400 under those conditions.... would you ever print that crop?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:57 AM   #9

All Look fine on my monitor.

Don't forget though that looking at a small section of a pic blown up on a 19" monitor is likely going to show imperfections. But would you blow that small size up to billboard size?

If you are sticking with A3 then there are no problems.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:41 AM   #10

ok, I think I see something, then I don't, and that's on my laptop, on my crt I don't see anything (it's turned on ;p )

Thats the problem with the banding, imho I don't think anyone will see it, unless they are specific looking for it.

I'm just asking myself if the other camera's with the same sensors don't have the same problem, but the just haven't started looking for it.

mntgal, I wouldn't worry about those shots - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote