Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:34 AM   #1

I just got this from a Photographer in CA that is a Nikon user.

A bit of bad news about Vista if you're a
photographer. Apparently if you tag a photo's metadata
in Vista, it destroys other important metadata used by
image editing apps such as Photoshop. Microsoft's
gotten reports of RAW files generated by Nikon cameras
being unreadable after being tagged with Vista or
Microsoft's Photo Info tool.

What can you do? Well, Microsoft's asking camera
vendors to make processing plugins for Vista that
don't make images unreadable, but for the mean time
we'd just recommend not updating to Vista until
everything's fixed. Or just not tagging your stuff in
Vista.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:14 AM   #2

What a surprise - Microsoft having a bug!! And expecting everyone else to fix their software to be compatable!!

Laughable really.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:33 AM   #3

This is why I started the link below to inform those looking to upgrade of potential pitfalls with Windows Vista.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
PDL

Where to start -- sheesh -- read the specs for WIC (Windows Imaging Component)

This tool uses vendor supplied codec's to provide EXIF and ICTP editing capabilities in their RAW formats. Please note: the vendor writes them not Microsoft. Also - from the MS site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...toinfofaq.mspx

[align=left]
Q.After installing Nikon's NEF codec and changing metadata, I can no longer open NEF images in Adobe Photoshop. Why?

A.

Important note to users of the Nikon RAW Codec for Windows: Microsoft has received reports of compatibility issues with Nikon NEF files after installing version 1.0 of Nikon's RAW codec posted in January 2007. Tagging the RAW files through Windows Vista or the Microsoft Photo Info tool after the codec is installed appears to cause these files to become unreadable in other applications, such as Adobe Photoshop. We have confirmed that these files can still be opened with Nikon Capture.[/align]
Nikon and Microsoft are investigating the issue, and we will post an update when we have more information. In the meantime, Microsoft suggests that you exercise caution with your Nikon RAW files. If you plan on tagging them using Nikon's codec, make a backup of the file first, and verify that the tagged file continues to work with your other applications before proceeding.

Tagging the file using Photo Info without the Nikon NEF codec installed appears to be safe.

The N*kon user really needs to contact N*kon about their bug - or use the workaround as outlined above.

I asked Pentax a few weeks ago when they would have a codec for PEF files - they said they are evaluating Vista -- It has been in beta for 5 years--what's the holdup. The tool works great on Jpegs, I have been using it for several weeks.

As individuals we should do the research before we start to bash. This is not a Microsoft issue. PS -- Why hasn't N*kon put this issue up on their web site?

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:26 PM   #5

PDL wrote:
Quote:
Where to start -- sheesh -- read the specs for WIC (Windows Imaging Component)

This tool uses vendor supplied codec's to provide EXIF and ICTP editing capabilities in their RAW formats. Please note: the vendor writes them not Microsoft. Also - from the MS site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...toinfofaq.mspx

[align=left]
Q.After installing Nikon's NEF codec and changing metadata, I can no longer open NEF images in Adobe Photoshop. Why?

A.

Important note to users of the Nikon RAW Codec for Windows: Microsoft has received reports of compatibility issues with Nikon NEF files after installing version 1.0 of Nikon's RAW codec posted in January 2007. Tagging the RAW files through Windows Vista or the Microsoft Photo Info tool after the codec is installed appears to cause these files to become unreadable in other applications, such as Adobe Photoshop. We have confirmed that these files can still be opened with Nikon Capture.[/align]
Nikon and Microsoft are investigating the issue, and we will post an update when we have more information. In the meantime, Microsoft suggests that you exercise caution with your Nikon RAW files. If you plan on tagging them using Nikon's codec, make a backup of the file first, and verify that the tagged file continues to work with your other applications before proceeding.

Tagging the file using Photo Info without the Nikon NEF codec installed appears to be safe.

The N*kon user really needs to contact N*kon about their bug - or use the workaround as outlined above.

I asked Pentax a few weeks ago when they would have a codec for PEF files - they said they are evaluating Vista -- It has been in beta for 5 years--what's the holdup. The tool works great on Jpegs, I have been using it for several weeks.

As individuals we should do the research before we start to bash. This is not a Microsoft issue. PS -- Why hasn't N*kon put this issue up on their web site?

PDL
This is most definitely a MS issue. Taking a piece of software that works fine with XP, writing a new program (Vista) which is no longer compatable, then blaming the software, no the OS. Still typical MS, and like I said - Laughable.

This is why MS gets bashed - 5 years in development, and still so buggy that the end user has to continually report bugs.

Existing software and hardware won't work, so needs upgrading. The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, Bill Gates and MS have done huge amounts for the PC, and I personally think he should have been awarded for making the PC accessible to all, not blasted in the courts, fined, and forced to split his company because people are too lazy to change their internet browser of media player - I call that jealousy!

Darren
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:51 PM   #6
PDL

Sorry, but in this case you not correct.

PhotoInfo is a Vista tool using WIC - which was announced last summer. The codec's for each type of proprietary format (NEF, C2W etc.) is written by the vendor - not Microsoft. At present only N*kon has an issue - as clearly stated in the quote from Microsofts web site. The C*non codec is still Beta. Pentax does not appear to be in the running.

This is a situation where N*kon wrote the code and N*kon has the bug. Microsoft has done the same thing (very well too) with printer drivers. If you remember back in the old days - each vendor had to write drivers for it's devices, for each third party program (say L*tus-123 -- I am old remember) had to write a driver for each printer available at the time. When Windows came out Microsoft said to the software writers - You do not need to provide drivers for printers any more - the printer manufactures give us drivers and we provide the interface for your program to write to the printer. If there is a issue with a printer not being supported (here is the important part) talk to the printer vendor.

WIC is the same thing - except that it refers to proprietary file formats for digital images. (NEF, C2W etc) At present only N*kon and C*non have provided codec's for their proprietary formats. WIC is the interface to a common API for editing Metadata - but Microsoft does not repeat not write the codec's for NEF and C2W.

N*kon has the issue - N*kon needs to fix it. Microsoft has provided a workaround (in the cut an paste off the Microsoft web site) but it is not a Microsoft bug.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:51 AM   #7

So what you are saying is Nikon has a program that works (under XP). It has no bugs. When used with Vista, it has no problems. BUT when the images are used with Vista's program there is a problem.

Got it. Nikon's problem! Of course.

And yes I remember the old days very well. I started with BASIC then went on to using MS-DOS, all versions, then Windows, all versions. Only 2 have ever been any good. Windows for Workgroups and Windows 98SE.

Darren
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:45 AM   #8

Who would want to use Windows to view images when there are superior (& free) image browsers to do the job.

To my mind, an operating system should be a stable platform on which to run applications etc.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:51 AM   #9

Personally, for what I do on a computer, I see no need at this moment to upgrade to the next and best from MS. All my applications for photos, web browsing, music, emails, the odd word processing work just fine thankyou. I'll upgrade when I have no choice, but not until then - and chances are that'll be a Mac. From what I understand, you need more high powered hardware to run Vista. I'm not a techie, but I do know that my newest pc cost me $295C - I loaded up all my programs, and it runs wonderfully well on XP. I'll wait for now, and let the programers figure out all the inevitable bugs that are and will show up on Vista........cheers........Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:24 PM   #10

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
So what you are saying is Nikon has a program that works (under XP). It has no bugs. When used with Vista, it has no problems. BUT when the images are used with Vista's program there is a problem.

Got it. Nikon's problem! Of course.

And yes I remember the old days very well. I started with BASIC then went on to using MS-DOS, all versions, then Windows, all versions. Only 2 have ever been any good. Windows for Workgroups and Windows 98SE.

Darren

I think what this comes down to, without all the finger pointing, is that Nikon's drivers, while compatible with XP, are not compatible with Vista. Is that Microsoft's problem or Nikon's?

I'm (obviously) not a nikon user, but when upgrading from XP to Vista, Vista will do a compatibility check of the software on the machine and let you know what is not compatible. If Microsoft missed flagging these codecs, a portion of the blame lies with Microsoft, but the bottom line is that any windows software developer that hasn't had their head in the sand for the past 2 years, should have been making software that is compatible with both XP and Vista. It was in public beta for almost a year, and I'm sure MSDN subscribers have had beta version for quite some time. So Nikon screwed up by not fully testing the codec on Vista, and Microsoft screwed up by not catching it earlier.

Honestly, who cares whos fault it is though? Microsoft has about 95% of the desktop market in the world, does anyone believe that you can release software to that many people and not have compatibility issues? Heck, look at Apple. Everytime they come out with a new OS, you're pretty much forced to by all new software (hopefully that will change now, but who knows).
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote