Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:11 PM   #1

Please do not move this to the "What camera should I buy" section. I want the hear from pentax users only.

Sadly I never shot film before and went stright to digital. I had the Pentax DS and now I have the Pentax K100D. I am currently thinking a photshop class and we are learning about scaning film negatives. Since I don't have any film negative I might as well buy a film slr camera and take some pictures myself and develope it at school too. I know I can find some negative from someone else but I want to experiance the "film" processing that I missed out.

Since I have a nice collection of Pentax mount lens, both digital and film lens I might as well buy a Pentax SLR. I checked out ebay and I notice that I have a lot of different models to pick from. I would like to spend no more than $50 if possible for the camera and I would like it to use the K mount, not the screw mount since I don't have any screw mount lens.

So what models should I look for? What models are more popular than other? Is there one that really stands out from the another? I would like to have an autofocus camera but it does not have to be.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:42 PM   #2

Before I went digital my camera for the last 17 years has been and still is my Pentax SFXN which I still find to be very good.

Don't know if you'll be able to get a good S/H one.If so gets my recommendation.

Can't comment on more recent Pentax AF film cameras as no experience of these.

Good hunting.

Ian Mc
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3
PDL

I have a 90's Pentax SF1. Sort of like the digital models - but you do not have the ability to turn off some of the "automation". Batteries are readily available and through the proper use of the control switches, you really do some nice things. This is the camera that led me to the *ist Ds and now to the K10D.

However for film work - I am old and prefer my manual Fuj*ca ST801. I just love the smell of Kodachrome (even though it is very hard to find now and get developed) in the morning. For B&W work I prefer Ko*ak Plus-x (ISO 125) and POTA developer (made at home - I have the ingredient list somewhere) which pushes Plus-x to ISO 400. Tri-X will work in a pinch, and Ilford is very nice too. Now all I have todo is get the gumption to dig out the 4x5 (I have the film) and head out. Now that is "real" photography.

Let us know your reaction to your first 8x10 B&W print as you watch it develop in the tray. White piece of paper- and the image slowly appears. If something needs a little umph - pick up the paper and breath on it (raises the temp of the soup and causes the process to accelerate) rub it (friction). That is the one thing I really miss when going digital - the gut level feeling when you watch your image come to life. Maybe that is why I think of photography as an Art. It takes time, effort, experience, you get your hands dirty and it is a thing of beauty - emotionally satisfying too.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:42 PM   #4
TC3

Check out the Ricoh KR10 or other of their slr's. I started off with one 20 years ago but sold it on. Just won a bid on ebay for another Ricoh kr10....fancy trying film again for old times sake and my older lenses i got for the K100D will fit as it takes K mount lenses. There are several for sale on ebay....KR5 was also a good one too as well as the KR 10 and 5 Super versions.
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:26 PM   #5

Try KEH they have some used film slr's manual and auto focus. They have a few auto focus slr's in good to excelent shape for 60-100 bucks. Good luck, I'm looking for a film slr myself just for kicks.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:52 PM   #6

If you want a very nice Pentax film SLR get the MZ-S, or if you want to spend less money, get the MZ-5n, both of which are great cameras and will take all your Pentax lenses.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:52 PM   #7

I have a 35 year old Spotmatic II that takes the M42 screw lenses, and have found that I use to take pictures much differently than I do now - actually there are things on the SPII that I like MUCH better than my current K100D but that is a different post. The K1000 is probably the closest thing to it and it takes the K banoet lens. Also the model was produced for over 20 years, and you can get them from $10 up on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...tSearch=Search

or just do a search for "Pentax k1000"

It is a basic workhorse camera, and you can expirement to your hearts content for a song. A lot of them come with a 50mm f2, or f1.8 or f1.7 lens. You might even find one with a lens that you don't already have (it will probably be manual - but that would be a learning experience also).

Here is an example..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-Asahi-K10...QQcmdZViewItem

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:53 PM   #8

My only FILM experience with Pentax was a "clone" Practica back in the late 60's... same screw mount lenses.

And honestly until recently Pentax really screwed up BADLY competition wise even before the digital transition....

But boy have they latched on to that andc oming back with a vengence now (maybe like U-Haul... all worn out gear replaced for new.... and a generational shift in control???)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:50 AM   #9

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
I have a 35 year old Spotmatic II that takes the M42 screw lenses, and have found that I use to take pictures much differently than I do now - actually there are things on the SPII that I like MUCH better than my current K100D but that is a different post. The K1000 is probably the closest thing to it and it takes the K banoet lens. Also the model was produced for over 20 years, and you can get them from $10 up on ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...tSearch=Search

or just do a search for "Pentax k1000"

It is a basic workhorse camera, and you can expirement to your hearts content for a song. A lot of them come with a 50mm f2, or f1.8 or f1.7 lens. You might even find one with a lens that you don't already have (it will probably be manual - but that would be a learning experience also).

Here is an example..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-Asahi-K10...QQcmdZViewItem

Yes I was kinda looking at the K1000 myself because a few older people that I talked to said that "everyone" had that camera back in high school. That was the "it" camera back than.

Also this might be a super noob film question, but what kind of battery does it take? Does it take a special camera battery or does it take AA battery?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:57 AM   #10

Not sure of the exact battery spec, but I think it was 2 watch batteries. It only works the meter, no real power drain. My dad bought one when they came out (and gave his Zenith E to me as my first proper camera) adn in about 10 years of use only changed the batteries once.

Darren

Edit: Battery type 1 x LR44/S44 (standard watch batteries)

website http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote