Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:57 PM   #1

Just wanted to say hi to all in this forum. I just purchased myfirst DSLR the K10. I read all the advise from you all about DSLR's and went with the Pentax. I live on Long Island, N.Y. the weather is a little cold so it is limiting my shooting but hope to get out and practice as much as I can. I'm a total newbie so I will be asking alot of ? hope you all don't mind.

I will include the first photo I took with my best friend Samantha.

Attached Images

87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats onyour new camera. I'm a newby to photography and the forum here also. Lots of friendlies here and lots of good info.

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:14 PM   #3

Welcome... This is a very friendly forum with a greatabundance of knowledge. About 90% of what I know has come from these forums, either asking questions or reading older posts. Congrats on the K10, I haven't made it past the *ist series yet, but I am sure you will love that camera. Be aware of LBA, it will catch before you know it and it's hard to stop, but most of all, don't ever forget to have fun!

:|

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:46 PM   #4

Welcome. Very good first pic.

This is, without a doubt, the best forum to join. No bitchiness, just a few good natured arguements over certain points/techniques.

PLUS all the help you could ever want. Various members have a wealth of knowledge and experience on a wide variety on subjects and are only too happy to share with us all.

I have learnt and re-learnt so much since last May when I finally got back into SLR photography after a 15 year gap.

To quote a certain regular "The only stupid question, is the one you don't ask!"

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:50 PM   #5

Welcome! Don't hesitate to ask questions, we won't bite, really.

Love your buddy - Samantha looks like a great companion. Also it's a nice picture, since black dogs (and birds!) are hard to take decent pictures of.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:16 PM   #6

Samantha is a cool chick....but get a real car. '78 Monza is what you need! IEE
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:56 PM   #7

87olds wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to say hi to all in this forum. I just purchased myfirst DSLR the K10. I read all the advise from you all about DSLR's and went with the Pentax. I live on Long Island, N.Y. the weather is a little cold so it is limiting my shooting but hope to get out and practice as much as I can. I'm a total newbie so I will be asking alot of ? hope you all don't mind.

I will include the first photo I took with my best friend Samantha.
Hi Samantha and you to 87olds. Welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions the folks here are very good about helping.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:00 PM   #8

Welcome and you made a FINE first choice with the K10D.... rather than working your way up to it.

I have actually been moving from film to digital since 1997 (when I had a 640x480 and a 1MP was a BIG investment and 3 MP was BIG money)

My first foray out of the P&S realm (though the high end like the Fuji 7/9000's are VERY capaqble but for lens swapping)... was a used original (300D) Rebel.

Was tempted a few times but very glad I waited it out (even through the K100D as than other than IS that would have been an also 6MP side step from the Rebel) for the K10D (and Canon 40D has yet to matterialize... 30 is now old hat).... sure K10D will be soon surpassed, by even Pentax itself... but for this moment in time what an awesome (a word I RAREY use) piece of work/craftmanship and imagination!!!

(not to knock the K100D or anything else but you could afford it as a first step into DSLR's....a wonderfull camera to be able to start with.... and for what the original MUCH less capable first gen Canon Rebel cost just a few years ago.)

Don't be afraid of its complexity... just play (more importantly EXPLORE) to your hearts content.... you will be amazed at what it can do if you do.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:01 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum. This is a fun place to communicate with Pentax owners from all over the world, plus you will get to see some truly amazing photographs from some very talented photographers. Just looking at their pix will give you some great ideas on subject matter and composition. Have fun with your new camera!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:30 AM   #10

Hi 87olds

welcome and enjoy :-)

Simon
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote