Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:35 AM   #1

This is an example from my *ist DS, ISO 400, 1/180 second, distance about 350metres. The lens is a Sigma 1000mm f13.5 mirror lens.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:05 AM   #2

Looks fine to me. Guess it is just the application or the user that causes the mirror lens problems.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:13 AM   #3

Not bad but honestly can't say I see anything in the image that is actually sharp.

Even looking in the plants thinking maybe DOF/focus point maybe being the issue... but nothing is quite sharp.

Then again if no IS, 1/180th at 1000mm is pretty slow...maybe just a motion issue.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:29 AM   #4

Hayward, that is one of the issues I see with these lenses, (I also have 500 and 600 mirror lenses), it is very hard to get a really sharp image but sometimes they really are quite good (better than this one) indicating I supposeoff-focus or movement spoiles the others. This particular shot is about average for the results I manage.

I used a quite heavy tripod but the wind was blowing, I would have rather rested it on a bean bag which I think does a better job of soaking up vibrations etc. The bean bag was elsewhere.

F13.5 is quite dark in the view finder so this particular lens is a sunny-day job only! Being dark makes it hard to focus too. What I usually do is take three or more shots bracketting the focus.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote