Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:42 PM   #11

Hi atroskie - you can blame it on mtngal since she was one of the ones that pointed Pentax out to me. I was looking around too, and had (still have) a Pentax Spotmatic II from 35 years ago. Having the image stablization (shake reduction) was one of the deciding factors along with having access to all the lenses that Pentax made in the past. Plus I knew the Pentax name and the quality of their lenses. Then upon holding it - it was the right size, as everything else was too - large, heavy, massive, you name it.

All of that being said, the kit lens is actually pretty good for the price (with the kit). I also picked up the 50-200, and recently the 16-45 and the 10-17. Currently stalking a 80-320. My main interests are landscapes and broad large areas - museams, buildings etc.

Actually, I am very happy with my selection. I have found that I do like the SPII viewfinder better, and between the K100 and the SPII, I find that I take pictures completely differently with the K100.

Good luck...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:32 PM   #12
PDL

The reason I went with Pentax was that I had a Pentax SF1 film SLR. The SF1 was a "gift" from the insurance company after my Fuj*ca SLR's were stolen. (I did get them back - but it took 5 years - long boring story).
While we were moving from one house to another - we cleaned out the garage and had to throw away 30 years of B&W film due to mice and water damage. I was depressed to say the least. I signed up to go to a National Geographic Photography Expedition - and saw a Pentax *ist Ds on sale at Costco. Bought it (and a laptop) - and have been very happy with being in the Pentax fold.

I started a photo club at work, most other members using C*non and a few N*kons. But when I show my images - to a person - the members say the exposure, color and such are spot on. I have even blown up one image to 12x18 (included below - taken with the kit lens) and it is gorgeous - or at least that is what everyone has said so far.

I have the 50-200 besides the kit lens and a Tokina 28-70 that I got with the SF1. From the old days I have a Vivitar 300mm (TX mount - with K mount adapter) that works well also. I just bought a K10D - but if I was just starting in the SLR world the K100D would be hard to beat for the price/features.

If you can get the camera, lensesand get classes too - that is just plain sweet. Good luck.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:49 PM   #13

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:
price got me into the dslr market, and it was pentax that did it. I bought a DL for $367 after rebate in july, haven't looked back since. Half the models you mention probably use the same sensor, so what did it for me? aside from price, it was lens flexibility. i can buy any k-mount lens that was ever made and use it (some with varying limitations) quite easily. the shake reduction the k100d has is a very nice feature, something i missed coming from a prosumer zoom (panasonic fz30). I upgraded to the K10D at the end of january, and it is a fine photographic tool. Unless you have the money to shell out on VR or SR lenses that nikon and canon make with stabilization, why not get it in every lens?
I'd agree with you ABSOLUTELY, and what got me to ditch Canon (with not a major glass investment... 2 lenses) with no C-40D even in sight... I am guessing the K10Dhas them rethinking/working that one once again.

The 10D like any camera not PERFECT.... but WOW the things it can pull off.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:25 PM   #14

This picture I took yesterdaywasn't taken with the K100 (I was traveling with the K10 only) but it was taken with an M 50mm 1.7 (K mount manual lens) that I bought new in 1980. As you can see, it works very well, though you do have to set the aperture on the lens (in this case it was wide open at 1.7) and focus manually. But it still takes nice pictures, even after all these years.

Taken through the windshield just before dawn, Hwy 58, somewhere near Boron in the middle of the Mojave Desert, while traveling around 65 mph. Love that SR!
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:27 PM   #15

atroskie wrote:
Quote:

Anybody else looked at these 3 cameras. I know that you are all Pentax users - what made you go that route?
Quite simple..... Canaon and Nikon are totally ignoring internal IS... they want to sell their IS lenses....

Ready to move up and not heavily invested in Canon (Rebel) glass.

Canon 40D still nowhere to be seen.... barey more than even rumored.

The P K10D was was just a no brainer.... just to good to ignore for HUNDREDS less than the C or N, non IS equivalents.

Some may like to spend HUNDREDS more for every IS lens (buying the system over and over) for slight superiority.... I would rather not... and have the IS for virtually any Pentax compatible lens EVER made.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:35 AM   #16

atroskie wrote:
Quote:
Well I think i'm going to venture out and give the digital SLR a shot. I'm quite a novice when it comes to photography. Therefore, I'm looking for the entry level dSLR. I am looking at the k100d, the nikon d40, and the rebel xti. I have read all the reviews and everybody loves their own camera. I think one of the biggest advantages belong to the k100d as it has IS built in.

Anybody else looked at these 3 cameras. I know that you are all Pentax users - what made you go that route?

I'm looking to buy a camera within the next couple of weeks.
thanks.
All Pentax K mount lenses will fit the K100D, and NEARLY all K mount lenses. I have seen warnings that some Ricoh lenses need to be avoided because they "jam" on the camera and are very difficult to remove without damaging the lens or camera. You could search old threads here for more info.

I looked at the same cameras and chose the K100D. For me the IS was a big factor. The other factor that kept me away from the XTi was the lack of spot metering. This is a very importantfeature for me. I was formerly a Nikon user, but Nikon'sdecision not to include a focus motor in the D40 body (and the associated lens compatibility issues) was a killer for me.

The K100 with kit lens and 50-200 gives you a very nice image stabilized range for under $700. Add a Tamron 1.4X tele-converter for $60 or so and the range extends to 280mm. If you look through the forum, you can find a lot of really impressive examples of pictures takenhandheld at relatively slow speeds with the 50-200 lens.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:36 AM   #17

atroskie wrote:
Quote:
Does the K mount lenses fit the k100d universally (I noticed on the pentax website that there are some restrictions with K-mounted lenses). What are these restrictions?
hi,

any k lens will work with the k100d (and any of the other pentax dslr's). the restrictions are directly lens related, ie if its a older k or m series lens you'll have to focus manually and use the manual (m) setting on the dial since those lenses don't send info to the camera. the camera will do a kind of ap priority with these lenses; if you push the ae-l button it stops the lens down to the aperture that's set on the lens, meters, and sets a shutter speed. really nice. at worst it gets you an initial exposure that you can work from and it's often pretty close.

with "a" lenses you can use aperture priority (Av)and shutter priority (Tv)(not sure about P) but still have to focus manually.

you can even use 42mm screw mount lenses with the right adapter but i kinda think you have to meter stopped down (no experience with these myself but there are folks who use and like them)

i got my dl because of price and previous good experience with pentax (k-1000). also looked at the C and N and O but found i could see the viewfinder info a lot easier in the pentax (possibly because i wear glasses) and it just felt right in my hands. the availability of used older lenses that still take fantastic pictures (and that's the big idea isn't it?) is a bonus although prices seem to be going up esp. since the arrival of the k-100 and k-10.

if and when i upgrade i'll be looking at the k-100 or k-10 for sure.

all the best and happy choos'n, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:12 AM   #18

I'm not sure of this, because I'm not into Nikon, but the looking I've done on the D40, indicates it has no auto focus mechanism built in and it is electronic only for auto focus. This would limit the lens selection to auto focus with motors in the lens, which might be spendy or manual focus on the others.

The reason I happened to run across this is my daughter has a Nikon N80 and is thinking of upgrading to digital. She is looking at the D80 because her existing lenses will work on it, but would not work on the D40 as far as auto focus. I agree with her move, because she already has a good colection of Nikon glass. Correct me if I am wrong.

Like you, I started with a Spotmatic ll and actually prefer manual focus, so I picked up some nice M lenses on Ebay. I also have the kit lens and DA50-200mm if I want to do auto focus. I have the DL, which is older then the K100D, but the same sensor- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:32 PM   #19

All of the current entry level dSLRs are excellent cameras. My issues, the Canon Rebels (except for the first 6MP model, which felt rather flimsy BTW) have small awkward grips. The Nikon D40 is not very compatible with older Nikon lenses (even older AF lenses), I'd stick with a D50.

I bought Pentax because I had a few older lenses (fast MF primes mostly) and the price was right (over $100 less than the next guy when my wife bought mine).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:56 PM   #20

I went with the pentax k110d for a number of reasons, I grew up with pentax cameras so I already had some lenses and flashes plus the price was right... and I must say I couldn't be happier! My dad picked up the Canon 30D and I have to say, that is a sweeeeet camera, but quite a bit more money, and a little bigger. Plus I acutally like the fact that the pentax takes AA or CR-V3 batteries and I don't have to worry about the batteries needing recharging or loosing there storage like my point and shoot did (Canon s30).

But to be honest, once you pick one and jump in, you'll probably have no regrets.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote