Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:52 PM   #1

Well I think i'm going to venture out and give the digital SLR a shot. I'm quite a novice when it comes to photography. Therefore, I'm looking for the entry level dSLR. I am looking at the k100d, the nikon d40, and the rebel xti. I have read all the reviews and everybody loves their own camera. I think one of the biggest advantages belong to the k100d as it has IS built in.

Anybody else looked at these 3 cameras. I know that you are all Pentax users - what made you go that route?

I'm looking to buy a camera within the next couple of weeks.
thanks.
atroskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:23 PM   #2

price got me into the dslr market, and it was pentax that did it. I bought a DL for $367 after rebate in july, haven't looked back since. Half the models you mention probably use the same sensor, so what did it for me? aside from price, it was lens flexibility. i can buy any k-mount lens that was ever made and use it (some with varying limitations) quite easily. the shake reduction the k100d has is a very nice feature, something i missed coming from a prosumer zoom (panasonic fz30). I upgraded to the K10D at the end of january, and it is a fine photographic tool. Unless you have the money to shell out on VR or SR lenses that nikon and canon make with stabilization, why not get it in every lens? Plus, any 2nd party lens (sigma, tamron) are pretty much made for every brand anyways. If you're not going to spend alot on lenses, the sigma and tamron lenses are the same whether they're for nikon, canon, pentax or whatever else brand they make them for. I love the flexibility of using older lenses that pentax offers. at this point I currently have 5 lenses, and have gone through 6-8 more than that. It is fun to find out what types of lenses you like to use most often. coming from a 12x zoom prosumer, i'm amazed to find myself using a 50mm f1.7 20 year old pentax prime at least 50% of the time. another nice lens i just got is a sigma 28-105mm f2.8-4, it is brighter than most lenses in that range, and is very nice. Lens hunting at local camera and pawn shops is alot of fun. That being said, if you wanted one lens and went with a 18-200mm sigma or tamron - they make them for everyone, so then it comes down to camera features. its really a personal choice, make sureif you can, to hold every one in your hand, if it doesn't feel right you'll never like it; pentax has very nice ergonomics i've found, nikon is pretty comfortable too, canon always seemed kinda plasticy and small in my hands. good luck!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:38 PM   #3

Milprod,

thanks for the info. I was able to hold all three, and I too agree that the Pentax fit the nicest. I was at my local wolf camera and it seemed that the salesman was trying to show me the nikon and canon and it wasn't until I pointed out the pentax that he brought it off the shelf.

Obviously the lens that comes in the box is not one of the better lenses. In your opinion, what is a good mid-level zoom lense? I don't mind buying used.

Thanks for the advice.
George
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:55 PM   #4

See my recent post K110 Action--I just received my K100D and these were taken indoors, no flash. It is a great camera.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:55 PM   #5

S/B K100 action
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:11 PM   #6

I bought my first dSLR a year ago, before the K100 came out. I went in planning on buying the Canon Rebel XT but looked at the Nikon d50 (the 40 wasn't out yet) and the Pentax DS just because I thought I should. I didn't like the d50 (too big) - if the d40 had been out I might have had a harder time making up my mind. I liked the Canon, but it was more expensive than the Pentax. And I had a couple of elderly, manual Pentax lenses from my film days that I knew I could use. In the end, I decided to save money by getting the Pentax - the difference in quality between the Canon and the Pentax were very slight. I was even happier when they came out with the K100, because I really wanted a longer lens and knew I had to use a tripod for anything over 200mm. Got the K100 (and also a K10)and a 300mm lens and couldn't be happier. Love having both cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:16 PM   #7

Can you guys recommend a good used zoom lense for me? I'd prefer not to outlay too much $$$ initially but will consider my options. I think the k100d will be the one I go with. Wolf Camera offers free photography classes with the purchase of a camera (up to 15 classes) so I think I may go that route. Normally I would purchase online (as it's cheaper) but being completely inexperienced, I probably would gain from the classes.

Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:28 PM   #8

Classes are always good. I personally like the kit lens - it costs so little and mine gives nice results. I also have the Pentax DA 50-200, a fairly sharp lens that is light and not that expensive (and compliments the kit lens nicely). These are both fairly slow lenses (one of the reasons they are small) so they aren't as good in poor lighting (have to use slower shutter speeds). Checkthe Pentax website forthe Pentax rebates - I think if you buy the DA 50-200 with the camera and kit lens you get a better rebate, but am not sure of the details.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:32 PM   #9

According to their website - the rebate is $150 for the body and da-50-200 combo purchase. Not a bad deal. It doesn't require the purchase of the kit lense however I think I still would get it. thanks for all the help guys.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:40 PM   #10

Does the K mount lenses fit the k100d universally (I noticed on the pentax website that there are some restrictions with K-mounted lenses). What are these restrictions?