Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2007, 12:51 AM   #1

Hi All,

Since I got the camera, I've been looking for a viable container to carry a spare battery for my K10. I usually don't carry a bag with me (or leave it in the car), so I always try to carry a spare battery in one of my pockets. Since the terminals are so exposed, it would be prone to shorting out against keys or coins, and I cringe at the idea of my pants bursting into flames (think Sony laptop batteries!! :?)

Everything I've found is either just a little too small, or too bulky. Today I was walking around the grocery store, and thought to take a look at the baby section (since all their stuff is little). I saw a pack of newborn baby booties and knew I had found close to the perfect battery carrier (I got the boy's ones as I favor blue over pink for my camera gear :-)). These particular ones are long enough that I can completely cover the battery body and fold the top over to double the thickness. . . The only thing that I can think of as a negative is that they're not waterproof. I guess shrinkage could be a problem, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

They are washable, and I have 5 spares (they came in a package of 3 pair) -- and they are probably the cheapest accessory that I've bought for any of my cameras @ 50 cents each.

Just thought I'd share my discovery (which I am inordinately pleased with :lol

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:00 AM   #2

Well done! I love clever ideas. I still haven't bought a spare battery for the K10 - one of these days I will. The other option might be to buy the grip and then you'd have a spare battery. I ended up deciding to skip the grip - the camera by itself is as heavy as I can manage/carry and think that adding a grip might be a bit too much for me to handle. Besides, my budget is already stretched to the absolute limit at the moment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:11 PM   #3

Hi Harriet,

I already have the grip, though unlike quite a few users, I don't like to keep it on the camera unless I plan on needing the extra battery life and want the convenience of the vertical shutter button (which really isn't that often). I usually use relatively heavy lenses, so I usually don't want to carry the extra bulk.

BTW, there's also room to tuck a spare memory card in the battery booty (it's stretchy), so I have the ability to carry both in the most compact and convenient manner that I've been able to find so far.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:00 PM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Well done! I love clever ideas. I still haven't bought a spare battery for the K10 - one of these days I will. The other option might be to buy the grip and then you'd have a spare battery. I ended up deciding to skip the grip - the camera by itself is as heavy as I can manage/carry and think that adding a grip might be a bit too much for me to handle. Besides, my budget is already stretched to the absolute limit at the moment.
Not sure I'd bother with the grip but a spare battery is a good idea unless you want to recharge (not great for the battery if under 1/2 discharge) everytime you use it.

Forget Pentax you go on EBAY you can easily find one on EBAY for $15 shipped.... vs $50+... maybe even with a few more maH vs the OEM.

I do carry a bag... so haven't needed the booty solution.... but a very clever one.:-)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:18 PM   #5

Instead of the Pentax battery, search for NP-400 on eBay. They are Minolta batteries, but are designated for the K10D also. I have 2, and they are great. You can find one for $10 shipped, or two for $15 shipped
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:13 PM   #6

Can you safely mix them?
Let's say a D-LI50 in the body and a BP-200 in the battery grip?

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:04 PM   #7

There are aftermarket K10D batteries on ebay and they are the same mH as the original, while the NP-400 is not. Also my K10D battery came with a plastic cover for the end with the contacts which would protect it while in your pocket.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:27 PM   #8

Actually my 10Dbattery came with a plastic cap that fits over the contact end of the battery.

So I just rotate it to whichever battery is not in use. (The 3rd party 2nd Batt just came shrink wrapped... no box or anything.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote