Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:31 PM   #1

Last week my wife and I vacationed on the cruise ship Carnival Destiny and along for the trip was my K100D with my Sigma 18-125 lens. On the second day of our trip I saw a dust speck appearing on my photos that did not appear the day before. I hadn't removed my lens so I thought this was strange but non-the-less something I needed to deal with. I have removed dust form my old DL with a blower bulb that works great but didn't have anything like that with me. While in port in Dominica I went in to a store looking for something that might work. As we entered the hardware section I saw the pesticide sprayer and thought this might work. I worked the pump and found a nice gentle flow of clean air. I bought the unit for $3.10 US and back to our stateroom we went. I knew this was a gamble but one I was willing to try (call me dumb). Guess what? It worked great. Dust speck removed and no more picture problems.

Attached Images

rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:32 PM   #2

One of many great shots
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:46 PM   #3

Good thinking! Not a bad boat either! I hope you had a great time!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:57 PM   #4

nice shot. can't wait for more.

about the blower?? i've been using a turkey baster from day 1. probably cost less that the sprayer you got.

roy
edit: forgot to ask, do you blow out the mirror chamber before you blow out the sensor chamber??
Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:36 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
nice shot. can't wait for more.

about the blower?? i've been using a turkey baster from day 1. probably cost less that the sprayer you got.

roy
edit: forgot to ask, do you blow out the mirror chamber before you blow out the sensor chamber??
This is a shot at a location in St. Thomas. You can see the dust speck at the top of the photo. Yes the water is really that blue. I've not retouched this photo. To answer your question I only blew out the sensor for this fix but blowing the mirror isn't a bad idea.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2007, 5:53 PM   #6

The last evening of our cruise. Shot from our balcony room. I had been shooting some inside shots at 1600 and forgot to change back to auto ISO but a great shot non the less.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:21 PM   #7

rritter wrote:
Quote:
Last week my wife and I vacationed on the cruise ship Carnival Destiny and along for the trip was my K100D with my Sigma 18-125 lens. On the second day of our trip I saw a dust speck appearing on my photos that did not appear the day before. I hadn't removed my lens so I thought this was strange but non-the-less something I needed to deal with. I have removed dust form my old DL with a blower bulb that works great but didn't have anything like that with me. While in port in Dominica I went in to a store looking for something that might work. As we entered the hardware section I saw the pesticide sprayer and thought this might work. I worked the pump and found a nice gentle flow of clean air. I bought the unit for $3.10 US and back to our stateroom we went. I knew this was a gamble but one I was willing to try (call me dumb). Guess what? It worked great. Dust speck removed and no more picture problems.

Whatever it takes sometimes... I still haven't purchased a rocket blower, so the other day I saw my first speck of dust. Found my son's bulb cleaner (used to clean out his nose when he was a baby), cleaned it out, works great!

Fred

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:35 PM   #8

Love your pictures - they are all very nice. It constantly amazes me how inventive so many people are (I used buying a rocket air blower as an excuse to wander through my local camera store). However, you might want to straighten the horizon line on the last one - it's such a wonderful sunset. I have a real problem getting my horizon line straight and am always having to rotate my pictures a bit. I can't believe how big that cruise ship is!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 9:58 PM   #9

The cruise ship in the picture is huge but not as big as some. The horizontal of the sunset is on of many that I took but I just liked this one for posting. Thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:30 PM   #10

Does the 100D have the shake the sensor option (really just pulse... not drive... slam it against the upper stop) camera must be H/V right angle level to be most effective)) the K10D does???

If so that has worked pretty well so far on my 10d.

Set-up menu... dust removal (NOT CLEAN) option.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote