Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2007, 6:44 PM   #1

I am thinking of using a Vivitar 285 to serve as a slave flash triggered by an optical flash trigger. Reseach has shown that there are two versions of this flash. A 285 model and a 285HV model.

Does any one know what the difference is and if any or both could possible be dangerous when used with the DL? I know that IRA uses a 285...so that model must be safe. However, what about the 285HV?

TIA

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:46 PM   #2

Either will be fine with the slave but check the trigger voltage on them before you put them on your camera. Older 285s (the HVs are the newer models) really need to be checked with a digital volt meter to make sure theyhave a trigger voltageunder 30V (mine is actually less than 10V). I have both an old 285, purchased in the mid 1980s, and a much newer 285HV that I use. The older 285 has the remote sensor cord which keeps the sensor on the hot shoe while the flash can be mounted on a handle of light stand. (as shown in the picture below)

I also purchased brackets to mount these flash units on my light stands with the umbrellas. See http://aicphotography.blogspot.com/2...expensive.html

Hope this helps, remember that a high voltage unit may still be used with your slave but don't put it on your camera.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:57 PM   #3

Thanks Ira. The intent is actually to NOT mount this unit on the camera. The intent is to mount it on a tripod with a optical slave trigger. You have answered my question. Thanks

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote