Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:47 PM   #11

Mtngal, I definitely know what you mean about the light bulb thing. Here's something I posted over a year ago about this issue: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:22 PM   #12

Hi Harriet,

I'm not a big RAW shooter, as you might know, and I've seen quite a few illustrations of RAW shots that were "saved" with processing that I've remarked -- " I could do that with a Jpeg".

Here's what I got from your pretty compressed Jpeg using PSPXI with the ColorWasher 2.0 plugin:

It only took a couple of minutes, and granted, it's not as good as your RAW conversion, but I had to clone the sky above the branch because of some severe posterization from the size reduction and Jpeg compression. I also didn't try to get the colors right either -- just a quick and rather messy job.

I've found that there is quite a bit of detail in Jpeg files, and most can be retrieved with the right tools (from both over and underexposed images). That's why I don't bother with RAW most of the time (and I make my share of exposure mistakes!!)

Please realize that I'm not trying to knock shooting RAW, nor am I promoting shooting Jpeg. I just find that with the right tools, the difference isn't as stunning as many seem to think. For me, Jpeg has many advantages.

One thing that I've noticed is that the K10 has a comparatively gentle transition to blown highlights compared to any of the other digital cams that I've used, and that has encoraged me to expose more to the "right" than I had with previous cameras to reduce noise.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:21 PM   #13

Corpsy - That thread was on my mind when I posted (why I used the light bulb example, had forgotten that it was yours) but I've had the same thing happen with ACR and the Pentax cameras when I've shot sunsets. It isn't quite as extreme as your example, but still there.

Scott - you are right that Photoshop and other programs can do quite a bit with jpg files. Just my experience when I was shooting raw+jpg for a while, I could do a bit more with ACR, but it was occasionally whole lot more frustrating than using auto levels on the jpg file (and only getting slight/marginal gains).

My point was more about not automatically underexposing a scene just to avoid blowing out highlights, especially when not needed. It's taken quite a bit of convincing for me to not underexpose and adjust from there. Now I'm starting to let the camera expose how it wants to, then checking the display for blown highlights. Also, I don't arbitrarily toss pictures that are good just because they appear overexposed (this one will probably get tossed because it still doesn't do this tree justice).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:31 PM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
My point was more about not automatically underexposing a scene just to avoid blowing out highlights, especially when not needed. It's taken quite a bit of convincing for me to not underexpose and adjust from there. Now I'm starting to let the camera expose how it wants to, then checking the display for blown highlights. Also, I don't arbitrarily toss pictures that are good just because they appear overexposed (this one will probably get tossed because it still doesn't do this tree justice).
Hi Harriet,

I'm finding that while the DS underexposes a bit normally, the K10 usually is about right on. I think that the sensor/processing engine combo has a little more headroom, and doesn't blow out highlights as easily, so Pentax made a slight adjustment to the exposure program to take advantage of that. This has taken some getting used to for me. RAW seems to give even more headroom, so is still useful for me with really high DR shots. Apparently different RAW converters have different capacities to extract detail from close-to-blown highlights, but I haven't used enough of them with the K10 to find out what does what here.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote