Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:22 PM   #1

I'm dinking around with a doubler on my DL with my Tamron 28-300 lens.

I also have an old Vivitar 75-260 screw mount lens and an M42 adaptor.

The doubler is a Kenko MC4 which supposedly is an autofocus compatible doubler, but I've always had to set the camera to manual to use the Tamron with it. It tries to focus, but it just can't seem to do it and I don't want the motor running long enough to do it if it even can at all.

I do have a lot of trouble focusing at full zoom with the doubler in -- part of it is due to the lower light, and part of it is due to the loss of field depth, I guess. I haven't had a chance to play with it on a bright sunny day and something interesting to focus on. So far I haven't been too impressed -- but then I know that there are limitations and I want to learn to work with them. So far I've had to go to low shutter speeds and high film speeds. And I'm not at all sure what needs to be done with the apature. Do you just ignore what the camera says about it and set it with the manal ring on the lens? And I've also read that you have to bump your f-stop up to a higher minimum to use the lens at all.

As far as the screw mount lens, I've put it on and switched the lens switch to manual, but all I get is a flashing "Av" on the display. I can look through the viewfinder and focus, but even putting the camera in full Manual mode doesn't change the display, and it doesn't change the fact that I can't trip the shutter.

So what excactly do you do when you go to manual mode? Anyone have any "best practices"?

And what's with the non-functioning when I hook up the screw mount lens?

Any insights would be appreciated.

philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2

aha! At least with the screwmount, it just doesn't seem to like it with the AF doubler. I'll bet the camera senses that it has an AF lens because the doubler has the right contacts -- but it's getting no apature info back so its confused.

Anybody find a way around stuff like this?
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote