Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:26 PM   #1

Anyway, a friend and I just did a test on his D80 and my DS/K10D.

We did the series of tests twice. First on 10MP (D80 and K10D) and 6MP for DS. Second test run all three cams on 6MP. All shots in jpeg. The two Pentaxes were also on Bright mode.
All our cams were set to auto-iso 200-800 (because DS minimum is 200).

Results from both test runs:
On his D80, without flash it took the shot at 800. With flash it took it at 200.

I then did the exact same test on my DS, and it took it at 800 without, and 200 with flash.

I then did the exact same shot on my K10D, took it at 800 without AND it took it at 800 with flash......

The images on D80 and DS turned out clear, with little or no noise. The images did get abit...and I mean just slightly whitish although still managed to retain the colour of the room walls. The K10D turned out more ambient and natural looking, but it did have noise associated with high iso when looked at from 100%

Any idea why the K10D chose 800 with the flash apart from preserving ambient light ?

I wanna know if everyone's K10D does the same thing and that I just don't have a problem with my unit.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2

It would be helpful to see the inages....

But yes the higher ISO you go the more DALYIGHT similar it wil attempt to make things unaturally/noisey.

I pretty much stop at 800 as a norm max. (When I HAVE too)

And then again what mode where you in in the 10Dand how was the ISO set up?

I often generally let the 100-400 default auto ISO go.... but at 400/above that I specifically select stuff... occasionanally 800 and rarelyy 1600 unless no other way.

EDIT OOOPS Flash in range no real need for 800 unless manuallys HARD set. Auto select have not had that happen on the 10D... though rarely use flash at all....

but in auto ISO select (like default 1-400) I don't see why it would do that.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:34 AM   #3

I normally set my AUTO-ISO range between the two extremes. On the DS (200-3200). On the K10D (100-1600).

I've been used to the DS where I've got it set to AUTO-ISO so that no matter where I go whether I use flash or not, the camera will select a feasible ISO and the clearest image.

Take for instance the DS, when I'm at a museum and no flash is allowed, it would vary between 800 to 3200 depending on how much light was there. Then if I go to a room and take a picture of something or someone with a flash, it would automatically set it to a low ISO. Sure the image isn't "ambient", but the clarityis great.

I can't seem to achieve that with the K10D. Sure I get the "ambient" effect, which I believe is why Pentax chose this type of AUTO-ISO behaviour as compared to previous models....but there's more noise.

I'm wondering though if there's an option that would allow me to override this behaviour and selectan option allowingme to do set the K10Dsimilar to what the istDS/DL/D2/L2/K100/K110 does (ie, automatically moves to a lower ISO when the flash is up or when an external flash is connected rather than comprimising clarity with ambience).

Oh, please let me know if your K10D does the same thing (ie keeps it on high ISO with flash). I tested one at a shop today (pretending I wanted to buy it), and it demonstrated the same behaviour as my K10D.

Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:32 AM   #4

On the K10D you can set auto ISO to what ever you want it to be... default is a reasonable 1-400... but it can be anything....

But setting it to 1-1600 though in low light when not really necessary (given the IS and steady hands) is just asking for trouble/noise.

Specifically seting 800 is a specific choice and in the right conditions does VERY well with pretty low noise.... 1600 is last resort.

And in bright daylight conditions I will not even let it be 1-400 auto but limit it to 100 or 200 specifically.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote