Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:43 AM   #11

Don't know if the Limited's are being phased out, but I received my first one today - the 31mm (haven't had a chance to use it yet-raining like mad today), and they said the other 2 should be here in the next 2 weeks. Will keep you posted, and I will ask the sales rep if they know what Pentax's plans are for the Limiteds (31, 43, and 77)..cheers.......Don.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read and observed, I think there's two things going on. First, there are possibly a whole lot more people buying Pentax cameras than they anticipated. Second, I think I read where the limited lenses were going to be phased out. I would guess that Pentax has their factories working on the new lenses that are supposed to be released this year, maybe had to retool them? I'm not sure they anticipated the demand for lenses with the popularity of the K10. But that's all conjecture on my part. I'm trying very hard to be patient and not buy something else while I wait for the new lenses to come out.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:08 AM   #12

I'd be interested in what your salesperson says - I got the idea about them phasing out the limitedsfrom something I read somewhere and I don't remember where, certainly don'tremember anything about a possible timeline for them to do it. Since I'd really like them (but can't afford them at the moment), I'd love to know what their plans are for them - keep us informed!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:42 AM   #13
Administrator

The news out of Japan today:

During the nine-month period from April through December 2006, Pentax's Imaging Systems Division posted an operating profit of ¥1.974 billion (US$16.45 million), in a complete turnaround from an operating loss of ¥938 million (US$7.8 million) in the same period a year earlier, on sales of ¥60.9 billion (US$507 million) which was up 16 percent year-on-year. The company cited brisk sales of K100D and K10D DSLRs as well as interchangeable lenses as the most important contributing factors

Now you know why those lenses and bodies are in short supply
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Unfortunatey had my month old K10D stolen, can't begin to get a replacement at the price I did just a month ago:shock:
Sorry to hear that. When they start being a target you know they are popular:-)
Just kidding, hope you can use some insurance.

I get frustrated myself with lens availability at times. Even thoughts of switching when the evil side takes over. It continuously itches me for more lenses. I have 12-24mm F4 in my cross hairs. Or upgrading to K10D mainly for the handgrip. Boy, I need a vacation:-)

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:54 AM   #15

steve wrote:
Quote:
The news out of Japan today:

During the nine-month period from April through December 2006, Pentax's Imaging Systems Division posted an operating profit of ¥1.974 billion (US$16.45 million), in a complete turnaround from an operating loss of ¥938 million (US$7.8 million) in the same period a year earlier, on sales of ¥60.9 billion (US$507 million) which was up 16 percent year-on-year. The company cited brisk sales of K100D and K10D DSLRs as well as interchangeable lenses as the most important contributing factors

Now you know why those lenses and bodies are in short supply
Good news they start doing better although by today's standards that is a really small company/division.

Steve,
I just noticed you are in Clearwater FL. I plan on going there in early May althou March is not out of the question.
What kind of filters do you suggest for white sand beaches? ND, polarizer etc.

Is it wise to even take the dSLR (not weather proof) at the beach?
I went Siesta Key last year, same fine white sands, and the P&S did surprisingly fine.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:08 PM   #16

I just wish they would produce enough 50mm 1.4 so we could all get our hands on one and we could all be happy. I have a vivtar Manual 50mm 1.7. I can't wait to see how the FA 50mm 1.4 works.. :G
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 8:59 PM   #17

Ronny,

Do you remember what you paid for your Pentax SMC 50mm F1.7 and is it a sharp lens? I've posted a question regarding my Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 kit lens giving me soft Images and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem, but I haven't gotten any replies yet. If your 50mm is giving you sharp images, I may give it a try if I can find one for my K10D. I truly love this camera and have gotten some good shots with my Tamron 70-300mm and can't wait to see what I get when I get some more experience with it.

Thanks,
Jay D:-)
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:15 PM   #18

In that Pentax sold out to Hoya, having what may appear to be another K1000 success on their hands, will hopefully keep the cameras and lens comming. If it were the opposit you can be sure that Hoya would probably be cutting back.

Overall this is good. If they keep producing winners, and we keep buying, then there will only be more to come. So all of this is just temporary.

On the other hand if they overproduced by 300% and no one bought we would have a very temporary going out of business sale followed by a very looooooong drought.

Thanks goodness for small favors - I knew that with the rebates, the 12-24 and the 16-45 were good to get!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:08 PM   #19

Jay D wrote:
Quote:
Ronny,

Do you remember what you paid for your Pentax SMC 50mm F1.7 and is it a sharp lens? I've posted a question regarding my Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 kit lens giving me soft Images and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem, but I haven't gotten any replies yet. If your 50mm is giving you sharp images, I may give it a try if I can find one for my K10D. I truly love this camera and have gotten some good shots with my Tamron 70-300mm and can't wait to see what I get when I get some more experience with it.

Thanks,
I've never had a problem with the 18-55 giving me soft pics. It's not a fast lens, not all that good in low light etc. But it's been a decent lens thats reasonably sharp for me.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:14 PM   #20

Jay,

I think that the pentax smc-da 18-55 kit lens is pretty good as well considering it's price. I used it exclusively for the first 6 months that I had my k100d. Try using Av priority and stopping down to f8 for sharper pics.

- Hung

Jay D wrote:
Quote:
Ronny,

Thanks,
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote