Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 14, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1

Has production of Pentax lenses stopped? I recently visited B&H photo as well as a number of other vendors and most Pentax brand lenses are out of stock or on back order. At B&H almost all the limited's are out, the 50mm 1.4 of course is, and rarely is a longer zoom even listed. It seems that Pentax isn't producing lenses so what's up with that? I was lucky I bought my 77mm limited when I had the chance. Of course there are plenty of used and even some new Pentax brand lenses on Ebay and that's cool, but the prices are skyrocketing due to the lack of new production.

From what I can tell Tokina makes three lenses for the pentax mount and there's tamron and sigma but some of those are out of stock now too. I have to say that although I really love my DL and K10 I'm more than a little concerned with the lack of glass production.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:09 AM   #2

From what I've read and observed, I think there's two things going on. First, there are possibly a whole lot more people buying Pentax cameras than they anticipated. Second, I think I read where the limited lenses were going to be phased out. I would guess that Pentax has their factories working on the new lenses that are supposed to be released this year, maybe had to retool them? I'm not sure they anticipated the demand for lenses with the popularity of the K10. But that's all conjecture on my part. I'm trying very hard to be patient and not buy something else while I wait for the new lenses to come out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:19 AM   #3

I hear ya bro. I'm itching to get my hands on a longer telephoto lens for wildlife photography and it's like mission impossible with pentax. Sure I can get some manual focus lens on ebay, but I want an autofocus one. I too love my k100d, but there have been times where I have thought of selling my gear and switching to a different brand, just so I can have access to the type of lenses I want. However, I keep telling myself to be patient and have faith....
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:21 AM   #4

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read and observed, I think there's two things going on. First, there are possibly a whole lot more people buying Pentax cameras than they anticipated. Second, I think I read where the limited lenses were going to be phased out.
Between the two that is it and just what isn't ubnderstood about the word LIMITED.... Not vazillions sold at McD's.

Unfortunatey had my month old K10D stolen, can't begin to get a replacement at the price I did just a month ago:shock:

SUPPLY AND DEMAND.... given very few detailed reviews... pretty much all word of mouth amazing camera stuff..... what every marketer (for zero cost) wishes for... and seems to be happening.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:00 AM   #5

I just bought my first dSLR, the K100d and am looking for a good cheap travel lens. I had read on some earlier posts that Tamron's Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR LD Aspherical IF Macro was a cost effective choice at < $130. But I can't find prices even close to that now - what gives. If its due to one of the aforementioned factors does anyone have any similar alternatives they could suggest? If not, am I looking in the wrong places?

Thanks

celtic0frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:35 AM   #6

I have not use the Tameron version.... but 10Xis a lot to ask from a SLR lens.

The SIGMA version of the 28-300mm left a lot to be desirect... toward 300mm very dull contrast wide open and rather soft (though mid-low end was fine).

I'd really suggest a two lens set up..... like 18 or 28-70mm and a 70-300mm

The Sigma 70-30mm is rather remarkable... and suffer none of the high end problems the 28-300mm did.

You also likely end up with a faster more precise low end FL lens to than a 28-300mm

Al in one is just that a BIG compromise.

(PS the Sigma 28-300mm can only do 1:3 macro the 70-300mm can do 1:2.)

And no the 28-300mm are in the $240 range now.... however the 70-300 are still in the $130 area regular and $200 APO version)

I'd really suggest the kit lens and the SIGMA 70-300mm as a very viable low costcombo.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:44 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
From what I've read and observed, I think there's two things going on. First, there are possibly a whole lot more people buying Pentax cameras than they anticipated. Second, I think I read where the limited lenses were going to be phased out. I would guess that Pentax has their factories working on the new lenses that are supposed to be released this year, maybe had to retool them? I'm not sure they anticipated the demand for lenses with the popularity of the K10. But that's all conjecture on my part. I'm trying very hard to be patient and not buy something else while I wait for the new lenses to come out.
Pentax indeed was taken by surprise by demand for the K100 and K10. Sales have exceeded projections by @ 3000%, and premium prime lens demand has shocked them. Luckily, they expanded their Vietnamese lens plant by a factor of 2, but it only became operational late last fall. With camera body sales at 30x the expected number, they had to divert more to just making kit lenses than they had anticipated, so other models had to take a back seat. I'm not sure, but they also might be responsible for making Samsungs lenses also. If that's the case, and Samsung is selling a lot of cameras in Asia, then that will divert even more resources to building the "standard lenses" for them.

The K10 seems to be attracting both DSLR beginners who have no lenses yet, and advanced users switching over from other platforms, who are looking for the premium primes and high end zooms. The latter group especially has many members who have substantial investments in gear from other mfgs, and have no qualms about spending less than they had been used to for the premium Pentax stuff. Ebay prices for discontinued * lenses have in many instances doubled from what they were last year at this time.

Retailers who, in the past have been able to get by with stocking a couple of Pentax mount lenses (or none at all) have also been overwhelmed by the demand and are having to reassess their buying and inventory levels.

Third party mfgs are also reassessing their product offerings, and the introduction of the in-lens motor capability of the K10 is an extra twist that they have to adjust to.

I think that it'll be a while before they catch up and we see suppliers with a good supply and assortment of lenses, but I think it's safe to say it'll will happen within our lifetimes. . . :-)

Seriously, if we see the new DA* zooms arrive on time, and in reasonable numbers, I think that bodes well for our LBA this year.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:31 AM   #8

It's not only pentax

I've been waiting for a tc1.4 from Tamron for 2 months now. And the only respond I get from where I ordered It --- "that Tamron is trying to cope with the big demand for Pentax Stuff".

[line]

Celtic0Frost,
I can't give you a realadvice on the quality on the 28-300 tamron. But tiger98 uses it, and his shots are Good enough for me by any comparison.The problem with buying first time a lens you don't know what you really want, if you can get the 28-300 for a good price, I would go for it.
(got a tamron 18-200 - as a gift - like it as a walk around lens)
(got a tamron 70-300 - good telelens)
(got a pentax smc 50mm f1.7 - is my only prime, and the quality is above the tamrons, got it on ebay but haven't seen it since december)

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:40 AM   #9

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
It's not only pentax

I've been waiting for a tc1.4 from Tamron for 2 months now. And the only respond I get from where I ordered It --- "that Tamron is trying to cope with the big demand for Pentax Stuff".

[line]
This is good news if you ask me. This means Tamron and other manufacturers might get up to speed, and start eventually offering Pentax owners lenses that aren't available right now seeing as the Pentax line seems to be taking off. I would love to be able to get the 200-500mm Tamron zoom for wildlife. I've seen a lot of posts from others using this lens on Canons and Nikons, and the results they get are outstanding. I'd love it if they would make this lens for Pentax...Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:43 AM   #10

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
It's not only pentax

Interesting, that is the one thing I have not had trouble replaceing.... both original order New Years and a week or so ago for relacement for the stolen one from B&H.