Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1

I need some help with the lens on the right. The lens is a Vivitar 28mm f/2.0, supposedly the same as the Kiron 28mm f/2.0 but in a Vivitar case. Only problem is this lens won't mount on either my *istDl or my K10D. On the lens it states it is P/K mount, but comparing this to all my other lenses, it has a much longer fin that covers half the distance around the mount compared to the finger width fin compared to the lens on the left. Ironically I can mount it on my extension tube, no problems, and then attach the extension tube to my camera, but I lose infinity focus which defeats the purpose of this lens.

Any help?

Thanks!
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 11:30 PM   #2

I've seen this before, posted hereby someone else. As I recall, they just cut off the extra fin and the lens worked fine, but don't remember exactly - it seems I read it not long after I got my DS - maybe around a year ago? I'm fairly certain it was more than 6 months ago.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:53 AM   #3

Yes, that is the only mod you can do. It will fit tubes fine, but the throat of the digital is shallower for part of its circumference.

It is a case of modify it or sell it.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:23 AM   #4
TDN

had a similar problem last year: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Also with a vivitar, appearantly they made a whole series of these lenses with a too long mount.

Removing it with a dremel or selling it are the only options to use it on digital

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the info everyone. Since this was a recent online purchase,I have asked the seller for a refund. Hopefully he will come through. Otherwise I guess I am SOL since I am not really up to modifying the lens since I don't have the proper tools, unless you can do it with a leatherman.

Kinda sad that I am going to have to get rid of it though... I read so many great things about the Kiron 28mm f/2.0 I was looking forward to comparing it against my Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 which is the lens pictured on the left.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:30 PM   #6

I got a JCPenny 200mm macro lens that was the same way... but it was a macro lens so using it with and extention tube really wasn't a problem.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:44 PM   #7

Well the seller said NO REFUND. He said he advertised it as Pentax K mount, and since it is, no can do. Oh well, paid $55 for a lesson learned.

Anyone want a supposedly awesome lens that just needs a modification to make it work? It does me no good since I don't have the tools to modify the lens or have a film based Pentax SLR. I guess I could put it back on the bay, but it's not worththe headache or hassle.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 5:00 PM   #8
TDN

ishino wrote:
Quote:
Well the seller said NO REFUND. He said he advertised it as Pentax K mount, and since it is, no can do. Oh well, paid $55 for a lesson learned.

Anyone want a supposedly awesome lens that just needs a modification to make it work? It does me no good since I don't have the tools to modify the lens or have a film based Pentax SLR. I guess I could put it back on the bay, but it's not worththe headache or hassle.
I'd try to sell it trough other sites than ebay, maybe on a forum or a local auction site...

Or you could always ask some friends if they happen to be handy with a dremel tool. All it really requires is that the excess plastic is removed... Maybe you could even use regular sandpaper...

I think 55$ is worth a try...

Or, you could always put a teleconverter between the lens and the body and use it as a standard lens...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:52 PM   #9

Well that excess is metal and not plastic, so it will require a dremel more than likely. But looking at the lens got me wondering... what if I just unscrew that part of it off? There are three tiny screws holding the part in place. I whip out the mini screwdriver and in less than a minute I have the lens mounted on my istDl. It fits perfectly no extra movement between the body and the lens with the missing part. Only downfall I can see is having to be a little more careful with the rear of the lens when mounting.

Here is just a quick boring sample, just to show off how my new lens NOW works!! I am one happy camper!! Can't wait to take it out this weekend. :-)
Attached Images

Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:58 PM   #10

i was going to say just use a metal file on it. but....

roy