Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:54 AM   #11

Really wonderful pictures - love how you can see all the detail in the feathers. Was your camera on a tripod? These pictures have gotten me thinkingabout a longer lens but I rarely am in a position to use a tripod. I'd love to have pictures this detailed and sharp but is it practical for me? Maybe I'll just look at all of yours and be envious of your photographic skills.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:31 AM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Really wonderful pictures - love how you can see all the detail in the feathers. Was your camera on a tripod? These pictures have gotten me thinkingabout a longer lens but I rarely am in a position to use a tripod. I'd love to have pictures this detailed and sharp but is it practical for me? Maybe I'll just look at all of yours and be envious of your photographic skills.
Thank you. Yes, the camera is on a tripod ( 3 way head from manfrotto). I adjust the axes just tight enough to not move, but when I follow a bird I can swing left and right and up and down. Most of the shots are taken within 2 feet from a Hummingbird feeder. Sometimes I get a little bit of the feeder into the picture, but then i just crop it out. I use manual focus only.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 5:08 PM   #13

Great detailed shots! I'm surprised the one with the twisted beak can drink from a feeder! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:47 PM   #14

Great Hummer shots. I'm drooling over the shots that you and Roger have posted. Keep em coming.
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:03 PM   #15

Amazing !
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:16 PM   #16

Excellent series...some of the best I've seen!!! Anxiously awaiting news of the hand feeding efforts!!! Good luck! I've heard of close interactions but not hand feeding. #5 is quite an interesting fellow...I wonder what happened.

Please let us know of your hand feeding efforts...Thanks!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:27 AM   #17

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Great detailed shots! I'm surprised the one with the twisted beak can drink from a feeder! Jim
I watched it real carefully: It looks like the beak doens't actually go inside the little feeding hole. he just extends his tongue into it.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:55 PM   #18

Man, those are great. Thanks for posting.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote