Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 18, 2007, 4:30 PM   #1

Today happens to be the first day of the Lunar New Yr (yr of the Pig) . And here is a couple of very commercialized shots in a local radio show as conducted in one of the many malls in Toronto (Kennedy/Steele)

As usual you have to fight with the traffic to get a parking spot and you have to squeeze yourself to get a spot just to stand. I should have got to the Auto Show (being held this week in Toronto) if not for the fact that I have the 3 rd Accord the last decade in the family

Daniel, Toronto

Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:47 PM   #2

Gung Hay Fat Choy 2007 to you Daniel and your family.

Loved this time of year back home in Hawai'i where I grew up. Fireworks were the best ever as well.

I have enjoyed many a celebration in the Bay Area (SF) as well.

Nice captures with your K100D. What lens did you use for this posting?

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:29 AM   #3

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Gung Hay Fat Choy 2007 to you Daniel and your family.

Loved this time of year back home in Hawai'i where I grew up. Fireworks were the best ever as well.

I have enjoyed many a celebration in the Bay Area (SF) as well.

Nice captures with your K100D. What lens did you use for this posting?

Tom
Thanks. I tried to catch the atmosphere with my 135mm2.8. I have to day it was nowhere near those of my home country, Hong Kong. The people would have been 30X crowdier in the far east.

It was minus 20 deg C outdoor though. So celebration of such scale in Toronto is impressive already.

Daniel

Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:35 AM   #4

my closest reference point to the celebration would be mardi gras in new orleans. it's happening now. oh, the stories i can tell.

roy
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:40 AM   #5

It looks like such a fun time, and I love the colors!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:49 PM   #6

Daniel, Thanks for the memories. My family and I used to live in Penang, Malaysia, one of the most Chinese of all the Malaysian states. New Years was always wonderful. Strings of fireworks 10 stories high. Festivals, music, plays and all sorts of excitement. Thanks for posting and I'm with Tom, Gung Hay Fat Choy to you and your family!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:53 PM   #7

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel,* Thanks for the memories.* My family and I used to live in Penang, Malaysia, one of the most Chinese of all the Malaysian states.* New Years was always wonderful.* Strings of fireworks 10 stories high.* Festivals, music, plays and all sorts of excitement.* Thanks for posting and I'm with Tom, Gung Hay Fat Choy to you and your family!

Glenn
Tom, Harriot and Glenn,
Thanks
Toronto has the highest Chinese population in N Am already. Atmosphere wise, I just still do not feel it as much during Chinese New Year as compared with what we got back home. The lack of firecracker being the one I miss most. They have made it up with stereo and video though. In here we adhor crowds and we are too sanitized. Back home the more people the better.
This yr I have not had given lucky money to my grown up daughters. They would have asked the reason why we should still insist on doing something so outdated. Well...

Daniel
Toronto
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:03 PM   #8

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
This yr I have not had given lucky money to my grown up daughters. They would have asked the reason why we should still insist on doing something so outdated. Well...

Daniel
Toronto
This is funny because the executives here at my workplace walked around and gave each Chinese employee some lucky money. I guess my company and it's executives are outdated. hehehe, time to take over the company.

I live in Toronto too and enjoy this time of the year here. The Chinese population is so great here and enjoy the colours and the celebrations. My Chinese friends say it's true that the celebrations here don't even compare to those back home.
jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:11 PM   #9

Oh and I went to the Canadian Auto show Daniel since you said you should've went. If you go, avoid the weekends, too many people to get good pictures. I went this past Sunday with the family. Here's the gallery of pictures I took at the auto show. These are pretty much unprocessed. Just converted from RAW, de-noised a bit, then framed.

http://www.jmeelo.com/gallery/AutoShow07/index.html

jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:25 PM   #10

jmack100d wrote:
Quote:
Oh and I went to the Canadian Auto show Daniel since you said you should've went.* If you go, avoid the weekends, too many people to get good pictures.* I went this past Sunday with the family.* Here's the gallery of pictures I took at the auto show.* These are pretty much unprocessed.* Just converted from RAW, de-noised a bit, then framed.

http://www.jmeelo.com/gallery/AutoShow07/index.html
Jmeelo
Tall George cautioned me saying that half of Toronot went to the Chinese celebration and the other half went to the Auto show. No wonder it was -20 deg C outside
Nice shots you have.

Daniel