Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 19, 2007, 6:46 PM   #11

Great work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:07 PM   #12

Great shots--you don't know how much I want to go to go there again (I was there several times as a kid, but never as an adult).
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:26 PM   #13

Hey, what is the fuss all about? It is just a big hole in the ground:-) Just kidding.

Really nice view. Never been there. I heard there are snakes/scorpions around there.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:38 PM   #14

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
Great shots. Were these out the (moving) train window? If so, I'm even more impressed.
Not taken from the train - if so, it would be marvelous. You only get one brief glimpse from the train. They drop you off for about 3 1/2 hours, and then you shuttle bus to various points, then back on the train, which takes about 2 1/2 hrs from the Canyon to Williams, at 30 mph. Thanks for the kind words!
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:40 PM   #15

mutty wrote:
Quote:
Very nice shots. #2 is my favorite.

Did you do much PP on these? the colors remind me of some badlands shots I took this summer.
Yes, I did some PP. They were shot in DNG, and first I run them through Photomatix, then a final through Silkypix. The colors are pretty close, however - only minor tweaking involved. The Photomatix helps a lot with the real dark areas, helping to bring out the detail.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:45 PM   #16

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
Excellent use of the fish eye lens. I like the 3rd the best because it has the least trees/brush in the foreground and gives a nice unobstructed view of the canyon. My only suggestion is the light. I heard that different times of the day give better light to the canyon which brings out the colors in the layers more. Perhaps evening light? I don't know. Or perhaps a polarizer filter.
We were pretty lucky, actually, because when we first got there, it was pretty much dull gray sky, but an hour later, the clouds started to part, and we had better light for about an hour, then it clouded up again, and rained/snowed the next day. Good light is an absolute must, as it changes the whole nature of the place. Dawn and dusk on clear days would be fantastic. These were taken from the south rim, and I have heard that the north rim shows a completely different character. A polarizer is a good suggestion - anyone with a Zenitar been able to use one? A bit tricky, I suspect, because of the curved, protruding construction.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:07 PM   #17

nznhut

Great shots. I am not a pp person and I think the HDR thing may enhance the third one.

I was there 2001 with my Canon G1. I was trying to find from my data to see if there are shots of the same scene. Couldn't find it. Keep posting. Thanks for sharing

Daniel, Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:09 PM   #18

Beautiful shots , No. 2 is my favourite.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:21 PM   #19

Nice shot of the Grand Canyon. I haven't taken the train ride from Williams yet, but hope to soon. At only an hour and a half from the Canyon, I try to make it up there as often as I can. The great thing about the canyon is that you really don't have to photoshop it much to get a great shot, you just have to wait around for the light to change, um, about every 15 minutes or so. It's one of the greatest light shows on earth. Again some very nice shots of the canyon.

Here is a shot I got in December of 2006. It was a very cold, snowy day and I saw the beam of light going down in the canyon and stopped. I had a couple of friends out visiting from Ohio and took them to the Grand Canyon for their first trip. The clouds were playing hide and seek and the canyon was covered at times, but the beam of light through the clouds was emphasized by the falling snow. I couldn't resist. Here it is...
Attached Images

mountainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:41 PM   #20

mountainmandave wrote:
Quote:
Nice shot of the Grand Canyon. I haven't taken the train ride from Williams yet, but hope to soon. At only an hour and a half from the Canyon, I try to make it up there as often as I can. The great thing about the canyon is that you really don't have to photoshop it much to get a great shot, you just have to wait around for the light to change, um, about every 15 minutes or so. It's one of the greatest light shows on earth. Again some very nice shots of the canyon.

Here is a shot I got in December of 2006. It was a very cold, snowy day and I saw the beam of light going down in the canyon and stopped. I had a couple of friends out visiting from Ohio and took them to the Grand Canyon for their first trip. The clouds were playing hide and seek and the canyon was covered at times, but the beam of light through the clouds was emphasized by the falling snow. I couldn't resist. Here it is...
Gorgeous, Dave! I couldn't agree with you more on the changing light and character of the canyon. Living in Flagstaff, which is one of my favorite places, puts you in the middle of some gorgeous country. You probably also get down to Sedona, which is another fantastic place for photography - got any good shots from there you could share? Here are two of my favorites, but please, people, indulge me - they were taken in 2004 with my Panasonic FZ20
Attached Images