Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1

Well, most of you probably know this by now, but if you don't, read on.

I was selling my Pan. FZ30 on the above mentioned website, to help fund my latest Limiteds I've purchased (got the 31 and am waiting for the other 2), and a buyer from "England" won the item. Now I had advertised it as only for sale in the U.S. and Canada, but this supposed person from England won. So I sent him the bill anyway, hoping that he wouldn't mind the expensive shipping for an item this large to England, and I get the wonderful reply from:

"PayPal" [email protected] PayPal.co.uk [[email protected]],

stating that as soon as I mail the item to them with confirmation and tracking #, I will then receive the money that [email protected] is holding for me. Lol. And get this..the shipping address is Nigeria! Well ole' Homer here ain't too much of a dummy and didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday har har, so I sent him another bill stating that no money, no parcel and if they really thought I was that stupid. I'll never hear from them again. Bad thing is, is now they have my email, and I'll probably be spammed like there's no tomorrow-might have to change it now..
In case anyone else ever gets a response from selling on eBay like this one, do not mail the item under any circumstances. Until you've gone to your account, and see the actual funds there - never send any item. There is no service by PayPal (they verified this for me), that "holds" money until shipment has taken place. It's just another web scam.
On another note, a buddy of mine had the same thing happen to him, and instead of sending the item, sent the a box with a rock in it. Lol. I guess he got the last laugh-less shipping of course. Hope this helps anyone who's new to eBay, and doesn't want to be taken.....cheers.........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:46 PM   #2

Time to change your passwords on Ebay and Paypal as a precaution. Also you can re-list your item on ebay for free by reporting it to ebay. I had a friend who tried to sell a laptop computer on Ebay and 3 weeks later and 3 times sold to a guy from Nigeria and 3 complaints later Ebay finally got it right. I would press Ebay for refunds of sellers fee and your re-listing. I never sell outside of the USA and never buy anything from overseas. I'd rather pay twice as much and get the item than be ripped off and have to deal with customs.
mountainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:33 AM   #3

Thanks Dave. Passwords already done. Don't think I'll be relisting. This is the 3rd bad experience in the last few months, and I've had enough. Ebay's a good idea, but I really think they should get their s__t together in verifying who's who when letting people set up accounts. A friend of mine had the same thing happen last month, and I've heard of others too. Time to cease selling, and if I buy, it'll only be from 100%'rs with a long track record....cheers....Don.

mountainmandave wrote:
Quote:
Time to change your passwords on Ebay and Paypal as a precaution. Also you can re-list your item on ebay for free by reporting it to ebay. I had a friend who tried to sell a laptop computer on Ebay and 3 weeks later and 3 times sold to a guy from Nigeria and 3 complaints later Ebay finally got it right. I would press Ebay for refunds of sellers fee and your re-listing. I never sell outside of the USA and never buy anything from overseas. I'd rather pay twice as much and get the item than be ripped off and have to deal with customs.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:25 AM   #4

That reminds me of the P-P-Powerbook story, scamming the scammer!
It started similar to this story, but the seller decided to play along and made a fake laptop from an old folder and FedEX'd it to the scammer.
The seller cleverly put an inflated value on the item so the import tax was quite high.
The scammer eventually went and paid the tax and picked up the item which was infact a pile of junk!

The whole story and pictures are hilarious and well worth the read if you have the time...

http://newssocket.com/powerbook/

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:55 AM   #5

Never bought from ebay myself, and probably won't because of these problems.

I have also heard of people being arrested for "scamming the scammer".
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:36 AM   #6

This is exactly what happened to me a few months ago. The ebay listed address was from Brooklyn and he snatched the item in the last 10 seconds (0 feedback).
I was really pissed. I forwarded the mail to ebay and had him banned. I was able to do a second-offer.

One can use e-Bay preferences to block bidding from countries where not shipping to. But as in my case, they can say whatever when creating the eBay account.

My suggestion is to avoid any contact with these people: no good can come out of it.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:43 AM   #7

I sold a Playstation 3 on ebay the day they hit the market in the US. One of only a couple hundred on ebay. Someone bought it... Then they decided just not to pay. Meanwhile when I relisted it the prices significantly dropped. Ebays a gamble. Some times you win sometimes you lose.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:55 AM   #8

I tried the 2nd best offer route, but eBay, for whatever reason, killed that option for me. Refunded all the fees for the above mess up, but said I'd have to relist from the beginning. Uh, uh....not again. I've had it with selling on their site until they can convince me they've cleaned their mess up...cheers......Don
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:07 PM   #9

That's why I like to try and sell locally if i can before resorting to eBay. Have you tried listing through Craigslist?
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote