Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:55 AM   #1

Hi all..

I have just purchased a 50mm PK 'M' F1.7 lens from e-bay, the lens optics all seem in excellent condition. I have several questions I hope someone can assist me with:

With my K10d can I just use this lens. I have set the aperture ring to 'Permitted' is this correct?

My main issue is no matter what setting I use I can see the shutter speed Ok but the not the 'F' stop is this correct? If so is there a way, using this lens, that I can obtain a valid shutter speed and F stop combination?

New to the DSLR world so bear with me please...

Cheers

Poul
Poul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:17 AM   #2

Unless I've missed a setting with my *istDS, this is also the case with me.

Also , if you set an AF lens to any position other that 'A', you loose the 'F' number as well.

I guess that you already know to set the exposure to 'M' and to press the AE-L (*istDS) button to set the exposure for the chosen aperture.

Also, if you set focusing to 'manual', youcan take a shot without having to obtain focus lock.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:50 AM   #3

Hi Catbells (just love that).. thanks for the information. Appreciated.

Poul
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:13 AM   #4

The K10 is a bit different than the K100 and th eDS/DL in that you have the green button instead of the AEL button. You always see the F-- when using manual lenses. You can use a manual lens in Av or anything else, but you will be shooting wide open - the camera won't stop down the lens no matter what thelens is set for (not necessarily a bad thing if you were planning on using 1.7 anyway. I did that recently in a dimly lit restaurant and didn't have to remember to push the button to set the shutter speed).

P.S. Using the M mode will cause the camera to stop down the lens to whatever aperture you have set on the lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:25 AM   #5

Hi mtngal..

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had wasted my money. I have tried the green button and it works fine. I don't mind using the manual settings anyway.. appreciate the response.

Suppose I should look avoid M len's in the future.

Cheers

Poul