Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:33 AM   #1

Hi All

Not sure if anyone here is interested but. Adobe lightroom was released Yesterday.
If anyone here is a Current Raw Shooter premium user, It states that you will receive an E-mail By Feb 23, with a link and how to get your free licence.
It also allows you to download a free 30 day trial and says that when you get your free code, you can just enter the code and be good to go.
I downloaded the trial. Looks good and runs Great.
Heres a link:
http://web.mac.com/sidjervis/iWeb/Li...Extra/FAQ.html

This link explains everthing and you can find the 30 day trial link in the body of this Page

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:58 PM   #2

Downloaded it and trying it since yesterday. So far I don't like this whole library thing. I wish it was possible to just open a folder, edit, convert and be done with it. Instead I must import and then exports etc..

Don't really know if I like it. The output images are great - about the quality I get with SilkyPix 3.

Will

PS. I did an (unscientific) RAW Converter Comparison test with 5 Programs. Will post in this forum soon.

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:58 PM   #3

Will

I also downloaded it last night. And I agree with you. I dont like the library thing either. I still think I will keep using RSP, until I cannot use it anymore. I am just glad that Someone modded it to open K100 files.

I am looking forward to your testing

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:43 PM   #4

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
I am just glad that Someone modded it to open K100 files.

Phil
I downloaded the modded Rawshooter file but somehow it won't work. Well it does work. It opens the files from the K10D but the colors are completely screwed up. The sky gets purple or green for example. I have no Idea how to fix it, so I went back to the original file and at least it's still usable with the DS/DL.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:00 PM   #5

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Downloaded it and trying it since yesterday. So far I don't like this whole library thing. I wish it was possible to just open a folder, edit, convert and be done with it. Instead I must import and then exports etc.
Lightroom isn't a simple editor. It's a whole enchilada Raw workflow app. One of the major reasons to use Lightroom is to be able to process hundreds of images at a time, quickly, sorting through them, flagging some as losers and others as keepers, rating them, etc. A large part of what Lightroom does is help you manage metadata, keywords, ratings, etc. These things can't be done without a library. If you want to see all the pictures that you've given the keyword "pets" to, how would Lightroom find them (quickly) without a library?

If I just wanted an editor, I think I'd use Lightcrafts' Lightzone. But the file management features of Lightzone are pretty limited, while those in Adobe Lightroom are fantastic.

All that said, you can still use Lightroom pretty simply if you do NOT want its file management features. "Import" simply means "let the library know about the files." You can import "by reference," in which Lightroom's library simply stores the path to the file, not the file itself. That's how I work. My photos go into the folders I want them to go into; Lightroom doesn't put or move or copy any of my files.

Will
Polytrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:15 PM   #6

I like it but it is chock full o' features and will take a while to learn. I intend to use it as my primary RAW editor. I like the way it has been somewhat integrated with CS2 as well.

I used some precanned RSP settings that gave me great results with my DS but will have to wait until Mar 5th to get the RSP settings converter tools.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:48 PM   #7

For you RSP'ers, the library has a folder feature that works just like RSP. No need for importing or setting up collections if you don't like it or need it.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:02 AM   #8

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Downloaded it and trying it since yesterday. So far I don't like this whole library thing. I wish it was possible to just open a folder, edit, convert and be done with it. Instead I must import and then exports etc..

Don't really know if I like it. The output images are great - about the quality I get with SilkyPix 3.
Agree with HogRiderhere, I just want to be able to process RAW images quickly & easily to get images that I can assess for keeping/using etc. Being able to 'right click' on images in a folder would be brilliant.

I've found Lightroom to have too many tweaks and difficult to get results that even look like JPEGs straight out the camera.

Whether I persevere with it or not really is down to how easy I find it over the next few weeks.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote