Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:14 PM   #11

I've got the same issues with the DL. Its not that big a deal, but one would think they could get it right since the manual tungsten setting works perfectly. Oh well, what a' ya' gonna do?

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:48 PM   #12

I had the Pentax DS and now the K100D and I never found a good use of the AWB in the camera. The colors where always off when I take pictures using anything other than natural lighting. The only time that it really worked was outdoors

But I've learn to deal with it. The other "custom" WB does a decent job. I only use it when I don't have time to manually set the WB. But nothing beats manual adjustment. I have a LowePro camera bag where I keep my camera and gears. The great thing about that LowePro bag is that the inside of the bag is the natural grey that I can use for my WB setting. So most of the time I am able to manually set the WB if I am in the same lighting condition.

I think this is the only flaw that I see with the camera. But even with that, I still love my Pentax.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:51 PM   #13

Does Nikon do a better job with AWB? How does the D40's AWB compare to the K100D's?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:44 PM   #14

Haven't used the Nikon but I used to use a Sony F717 before I bought a Pentax. I used to set the custom WB just about as often with the Sony as I do with the K100. The K10 does have better auto WB, and it's tungsten setting is more accurate, but I still often have to custom set the WB with it, too. I suspect that the K100 is about as accurate (might have a different color cast) as any of the other budget dSLRs. To me it's a non-issue.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:18 AM   #15

Again virtually all indoor (usualy called Tungsten) camera WB (moreso SLR's maybe )are balanced for higher K Studio and Theater lighting. (Ever notice how concert shots rarely look yellow)

Some come out yellower than others with typical indoor lighting.... but then again even to your EYES its not true white.

Actually I often find perfect (to outdoors) WB indoor shots very unatural looking... almost like they were under daylight florescents.

Indoor lighting even to your eye (especially if you think about it... brain does do tricks) is rather yellow.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:58 AM   #16

I have the D40 and I'm now waiting for my K100. The reasons? WB and metering problems. The D40 has a pretty bad WB control. AUTO works OK as long as you shoot outdoors with no contrast. Otherwise, anything in shaded areas will look blue'ish. Both Cloudy and Shade presets produce brown'ish images. Pretty bad IMO. Indoors is even worse. Both incandescent and fluorescent are out of whack and you need to compensate for them.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:29 AM   #17

I do not have a first hand experience but one of my friends with a Canon Rebel XT (old 6MP version from some years back) is having less grief with Auto WB.
I remember both of us shooting in the same conditions on AWB indoors and it seemed that way.

The alternative is to do RAW (I have K100D) and then adjust the WB. This is what I do instead of custom balancing.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:33 PM   #18

Actually that was just Rebel (XTwas the 8MP version) 300D.

I had one before my K10D and in all but very bright indoor light it was fairly yellow too.

The dimmer the light the lower K temp and yellower it will appear it is to the camera.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote