Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1

I have read about people complaining about this, is it the camera or the user?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2
TC3

Mine gives a slight cast in indoor light when no flash is used which most cameras do. Set it manually or shoot raw and problem solved...the camera is brilliant
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Exactly. If you use the "Auto White Balance" setting for indoor shots without a flash, they will look yellowish. I always set the white balance manually for indoor shots. It's quick and easy to do (explained in the owner's manual) and the results are fantastic.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 12:49 PM   #4

>Does the K100D have white balance issues?

The answer is negative. Press a couple of button as shown above, the white balance would be corrected. But users still have to press the buttons.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:20 PM   #5

I don't understand why the K100D is so maligned about it's AWB. While saving up to buy my first DSLR I have been reading various forums and many DSLRs have trouble with WB. I have seen complaints about the D40 and D50 and even though the pics may not be quite as yellowish as the K100D you still have to do the same adjustments if you want the correct WB.

Terry
thmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:40 PM   #6

I think most people have an issue with the WB because the automatic settings on the camaera which are supposed to adjust it properly do not work very well. Like I said above, if you set it manually the results are great. BUT, I think if they are going to put an "Auto White Balance" mode on the camera, it should work better than it does. Same for the "Custom White Balance" settings. They work ok, but many times still produce a photo with a yellowish or blue cast. I absoluely LOVE my K100D and I know how to make it take great shots. But if Pentaxis going to go through all the trouble of putting auto settings on the camera, theyshould work better in my opinion.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:23 PM   #7

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I think most people have an issue with the WB because the automatic settings on the camaera which are supposed to adjust it properly do not work very well. Like I said above, if you set it manually the results are great. BUT, I think if they are going to put an "Auto White Balance" mode on the camera, it should work better than it does. Same for the "Custom White Balance" settings. They work ok, but many times still produce a photo with a yellowish or blue cast. I absoluely LOVE my K100D and I know how to make it take great shots. But if Pentaxis going to go through all the trouble of putting auto settings on the camera, theyshould work better in my opinion.
AWB will not work for household tungsten. The color temp is too low in general. The misunderstanding, which I was also not aware of initially, is that the AWB only is good down to 4000k. Tungsten preset is 2700ish. This is reported to be not much difference from "other" DSLR's.
p118-119 of your K100 manual pretty clearly points this out
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:08 PM   #8

oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
AWB will not work for household tungsten. The color temp is too low in general. The misunderstanding, which I was also not aware of initially, is that the AWB only is good down to 4000k. Tungsten preset is 2700ish. This is reported to be not much difference from "other" DSLR's.
p118-119 of your K100 manual pretty clearly points this out
I must have missed that part in the manual. Thanks for pointing that out. But then I would still expect the "Custom Setting" for indoor tungsten to work better than it does. Even with that setting I still get yellow or blue cast many times. Don't get me wrong here...I love my K100D. I have no problem setting the manual WB. I just wish the camera settings did a better job at what they are supposed to do.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:08 PM   #9

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Exactly. If you use the "Auto White Balance" setting for indoor shots without a flash, they will look yellowish. I always set the white balance manually for indoor shots. It's quick and easy to do (explained in the owner's manual) and the results are fantastic.
That is because that setting is REALLY for tungsten studio or theater lights which are considerably higher K temp than you typical household bulb.

And if you are honest with yourself, indoor lighting really isn't white by a long shot... your brain just starts to see it that way after a bit.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:58 PM   #10

How would you say the K100D compares to other's AWB performance?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote