Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:49 AM   #11

What I want from a RAW converter is the ability to quickly convert a day's shoot of a hundred or more images - to open each one up & manually tweak it would be just too laborious.

To that end, I've been using Pentax Photlab v2 (not compatible from beyond *istDS) as it produces quite acceptable JPEGs which look sharp;sometimes, it doesn't work & that's when I use ACR or SilkyPix to fine tune it.

Here's my recent comparison using Bibble v4.9, PPL v2, Lightroom & SilkyPix V3 - surprisingly, Bibble looks quite insipid, SilkyPix looks quite similar to PPLv whereas Lightroom looks more natural:

All setting were set to default during the RAW conversion process i.e. no additional enhancement.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:09 AM   #12

Thanks for doing all this testing. It is nice to see from "normal" photographers as opposed to the pros who have set ups we can't afford. Both are useful but all the work you did gives us a more practical solution to our common problems. Appreciate all the time and effort.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 4:22 AM   #13

Bibble v4.9 added to above comparison - looks quite insipid by comparison.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:28 PM   #14

Catbells - thanks for these comparisons - there's more differences with your photos than with hogrider's pictures. I don't think we will all agree on which one is better -each onewill appeal to different tastes.

The interesting thing is when I looked at the full frame versions, I thought the Bibble one looked pale compared to the rest (can this be corrected with some manipulating?). When I looked at the 100% crops, I thought it had the best/smoothest diagonal lines - all of the other ones were at least a little choppy. In fact, at 100% crop, the Bibble looks very good.

I find the PhotoLab 2 version to be too processed for my tastes, though others will probably prefer it because it has punch. I find it too saturated and too sharpened looking for me, and even more so when USM has been applied.

As far as the full frame versions, I like the Lightroom one best - my tastes lean that way more (its color is pleasing to me and it doesn't appear oversharpened).

When I look at the crops, I like the Silkypix a bit better thantheLightroom one.

When you add the USM - the Bibble and Silkypix versions hold up better than the Lightroom version,with the PhotoLab 2 onelookingeven moreoversharpened to me. I'll probably still go with the released version of Lightroom (whenever the Student store gets it in) though Silkypix looks like it might be a better converter. I know that there will be others out there that will prefer the look of the PhotoLab and there's nothing wrong with that - its all a matter of personal taste.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:41 AM   #15

Faststone v3 added - looks poor against the others, but I guess you get what you pay for.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:42 AM   #16

Wow - that Faststone pic looks really poor. I don't understand why in my test even at the 100% crops - there is hardly any difference.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 1:07 PM   #17

thank you for that!! i was just going to look into that as my computer does not seem to like photolab. well i like sliky pix the best with these test. so i will probably try that one out first
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote