Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2007, 2:24 AM   #1

Every white balance setting even the standard presets is fine tunable.... (really fine is an undestatement...pretty substantial variation)

And in real time basically you take a non recorded (I'm guessing RAW type shot) held in memory under the control overlay graphics so you can adjust it until it looks right and then set that as the way that setting behaves.

VS some enginneers preset under lab conditions, most cameras just stick you with. (other than temporary manual changes or 1 or 2 USER presets)

As well as a manual setting and 3 possible just K temp settings.

I reset the tungsten/indoor WB and now things look much better.... and again didn't have to guess on it.... real time adjustment to the default captured image... to get things how you want them to be.

Sort of reminds me of the STAPLES ads... The EASY BUTTON :lol:

Well SEVERAL buttons, but wasn't hard to get the hang of at all.... actualy without reading that part of the manual.... though did ultimately to get some of the finer points/possibilities.

And you want to try some whacky "color filter" effects... again you can do it the same way adjusting things on a test shot in real time to just what you want and then take the real thing.

And if you don't mind the graphics overlay a easy way you can do a digital preview without setting that as an always default.

SHEESH.... just noticed another thing.... if you hit the WB option since you have shot an image it auto defaults to adjusting that last image.... and not for just the WB setting it was but ANY you switch it to. (And even from a JPG not RAW image)

As an example (forget sharpness lowlight winging it out the front door, light of interest not image) typical pink street light... first Auto WB...other than near daylight not real good on most cams... and second a fine tune of 2500K.... now I have a permanent street light setting. :-) (And there are 12 possible... 4 of which are the typical...but still tunable))

Again no guessing involved just switch between WB presets and found the closesest which turned out to be 2500K color Temp and then just real time fine tune adjustment of it for the first image and setting it for that WB preset. (and I could set two other variations of 2500K or any two others between 2500 and 8000K

So much for needing white cards anymore :shock:

And OK I know you RAW dudes can do this after... but for those who mostly do JPG or don't carry 10GB of cards or HD's :shock:..... the K10D offers amazing flexability and real time visual adjustment to deal with this.... do any/many others?

PS... the entire time betwwen shot 1 and 2 is like 30 sec to a min.... because again no guess work just WYSIWYG... a little fine tuning... and now forever a just couple of sec away preset for pink street lights.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2007, 3:44 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:21 AM   #3

Nice WB adjust. Shame nothing seems to be in focus. Could just be me.

I would rather do the WB adjust in CS2 rather than in camera. Good though the 2.5" LCD may be, it is no substitute for a decent sized monitor.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:34 PM   #4

As I noted in the OP

"(forget sharpness lowlight winging it out the front door, light of interest not image)"
IS might have even been turned off

And there is nothing to say you couldn't plug the camera into a TV/moniyor while you are doing the WB

Also the way the camera does it is far easier than trying to post do it in software to a JPG.... and ALSO noted sure RAW that's easy.

Plus I don't need to do it to every image now.... a default setting in the camera now for pink street lights, that would make any post tweaking much easier if necessary at all.

Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:51 PM   #5

I agree that the LCD monitor isn't as accurate as a calibrated monitor. However, I sometimes get frustrated with trying to adjust WM in ACR or whatever raw converter I happen to be using - it seems like I don't understand the mix of light good enough to easily adjust the sliders to get what I want. I've used the K10's ability to fine tune the WB successfully, but have had better luck just letting the camera decide the custom white balance and accepting that without change.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:02 PM   #6

Hi,

Sounds like a nice and easy way to adjust the Balance. I hate Adobe, I use Paint Shop Pro 11.02. Since I have the istD all my raw files can be converted thru it. But if I get lazy, I can just shoot in TIFF.

The istD lets you shoot JPEG,RAW(PEF) and TIFF.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:45 PM   #7

Especially for JPEG were COARSE WB post correction can be very difficult, and rarely good, but fine tuning (if still necessary) is pretty easy and good.